ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
ConvaTec - request sample
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Meet and talk to 18,132 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 18,132 OstoMates.

Using Calamine Lotion on skin around stoma

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

Recently I've been experiencing pain and bleeding of the skin immediately around my stoma.  I think I read somewhere here about dabbing Calamine around the area but I can't find it now.  Anyone have information/experience with this?  Or a better solution?  Thanks

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am
hi I,ve occasionally used calamine lotion around my stoma when I get a raw spot,i dry the skin as best as I can then apply some lotion and let it dry and then apply a little more, then I put the wafer or base plate on, I use a 2pc. system then attach the pouch.
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Thank you!  It's stinging quite badly at the moment so I got some Calamine at the store this morning and will try it during a "quiet time" this afternoon. 

Smile

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I've been using calamine recently and it has helped a great deal!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm

I do use calamine lotion when the skin around the Stoma is bare and sometimes bleeding.

Recentlly I tried Sudo cream and found it is more soothing.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:16 pm

If using Calaomine lotion, do not shake the bottle, but let it settle, then carfully pour off the water on top until the lotion is pure and thicker.

Then apply to your skin. More effective.

As told to me by my ET nurse years ago.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 am
Gr8g8ts wrote:

Thank you!  It's stinging quite badly at the moment so I got some Calamine at the store this morning and will try it during a "quiet time" this afternoon. 

Smile

Please report back as to how this worked out, Gr8g8ts. I too have skin issues.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 am

Have any of you who have used calamine/Sudo cream/etc. experienced any interference with the wafer sticking or leaks?

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am

Hi,I agree with Rusty when using Calamine lotion .The way I do it is store the bottle upside down,when I have to use it I carefully open the cap slowly & with a cotton bud  get the thick Calamine lotion and dab it around the sore spot .I found that using Sudo cream it heals the skin around the Stoma & stops the itching.

Use a hairdryer  to make sure that it is all dried up before attaching the wafer.Winter time I never had any leaks but summer time I do get the occasional leak because of the hot  weather and perspiration .Hope you find my way of doing it useful and you don't get any more leaks 

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Oh this is great! I'll have to try when needed!!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.