Calamine Lotion for Stoma Irritation?

Replies
Views
Gr8g8ts

Recently I've been experiencing pain and bleeding of the skin immediately around my stoma. I think I read somewhere here about dabbing calamine around the area but I can't find it now. Anyone have information/experience with this? Or a better solution? Thanks

ron in mich

Hi, I've occasionally used calamine lotion around my stoma when I get a raw spot. I dry the skin as best as I can, then apply some lotion and let it dry. Then I apply a little more, and then I put the wafer or base plate on. I use a 2pc. system, then attach the pouch.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gr8g8ts

Thank you! It's stinging quite badly at the moment, so I got some Calamine at the store this morning and will try it during a "quiet time" this afternoon.

:)

julianatheory151

I've been using Calamine recently and it has helped a great deal!

marozz

I do use calamine lotion when the skin around the stoma is bare and sometimes bleeding.

Recently I tried Sudocream and found it is more soothing.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Rusty

If using Calamine lotion, do not shake the bottle, but let it settle, then carefully pour off the water on top until the lotion is pure and thicker.

Then apply to your skin. More effective.

As told to me by my ET nurse years ago.

GraphX12

Please report back as to how this worked out, Gr8g8ts. I too have skin issues.

GraphX12

Have any of you who have used calamine/Sudo cream/etc. experienced any interference with the wafer sticking or leaks?

marozz

Hi, I agree with Rusty when using Calamine lotion. The way I do it is store the bottle upside down, when I have to use it I carefully open the cap slowly with a cotton bud; get the thick Calamine lotion and dab it around the sore spot. I found that using Sudo cream it heals the skin around the Stoma stops the itching.

Use a hairdryer; to make sure that it is all dried up before attaching the wafer. Winter time I never had any leaks but summer time I do get the occasional leak because of the hot weather and perspiration. Hope you find my way of doing it useful and you don't get any more leaks.

becrhomat

Oh, this is great! I'll have to try it when needed!!

Robinsa

Hi, I found your post regarding calamine lotion to help sore skin around your stoma. I also suffer from sore skin from time to time and was advised by my consultant to try a dry powder inhaler containing Beclometasone, normally used for asthma. It contains a steroid that very quickly heals any sore skin I have. I had to get my doctor to prescribe the meds. Firstly, you have to carefully open the inhaler by destroying the plastic container over a clean sheet of paper and store the powder contained in a small clean container. I clean and dry the skin around my stoma and then dab a very small amount of the powder on the areas of sore skin and rub it in. The new base plate will stick as normal. I have found that my skin heals in a few days. I use a mouldable base plate two-piece system and only need to change it every 3 to 4 days.

I hope this may help you and others in the future.

See the report from a trial below that I found on the net.

Topical application of a beclometasone steroid inhaler for the treatment of stoma inflammation.

Boland J1, Brooks D.
Author information
Barnsley Hospice, Church Street, Gawber, S75 2RL, UK. ****
Abstract
We describe two cases of peristomal inflammation which resulted in pain, poor adhesion of the stoma bag, and fecal leaking. The inflammation did not respond to regular cleaning and barrier film sprays, but dramatically improved with the application of a beclometasone dry powder aerosol inhaler sprayed onto the inflamed skin around the stoma site. A steroid inhaler was used to decrease the peristomal inflammation without affecting the adhesion of the stoma bag, which could be caused by creams.
PMID: 22573469 DOI: 10.1177/0269216312446363

dogmum

You are right. I have forgotten how long to leave the lotion for. For a paste.