Rinsing ileostomy bag: necessary or not?

Replies
Views
Parinath

I didn't think it would ever be possible to rinse as I had high output and real issues with keeping my bag connected (hence burnt skin, which is difficult to have appliances stick). For me, confidence was key. I finally found a setup that gave me 2 to 3 days between changes and could even shower minus any setup on my change days. My skin then loved getting a rinse (we have tank water) so I worked a method where I could rinse in the shower with lovely warm water and let the stoma sit in the warm water which helped it relax and move through those larger pieces. Yes, it did gross me out initially but the benefit of a happy, relaxed stoma let me get past it.

I believe it is such a personal decision and what works for one may not work for others. Give yourself a safe, stress-free environment and try a few different methods (be prepared your setup might not like it. It may burst and you might need to change.) Allow a good amount of time and monitor your setup.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do.

sassie

I like to rinse out my pouch as well, as it feels lighter against me. I have even dumped it and then removed it "when at home" and really washed it out good. Used a blow dryer to dry the outside, then snapped it back on. I use a 2-piece system and find I get a lot more wear out of a pouch. When I rinse when it's attached, I do not rinse at the top around the stoma as I have had it cause a leak. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,429 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dls

I rinse my bag entirely every time I 'empty' it. My output is so thick and heavy that my bag gets pushed, not emptied. I always pour water into my bag and give it a good swish. Then I empty the water out and do it again--making sure that the curves and corners and area around the filter are clear. I have had no trouble with adhesion and my stoma loves water and being freed from waste. For me, I feel so much cleaner and my bag feels so light! I carry a small 4 oz. bottle of water with me in case I have to 'empty my bag' someplace other than home. I could really use a bag with a zipper...dls

Past Member

I rinse mine every time. It cuts down on "incidental odors". Usually the best ideas come from fellow Ostomates. We have lots of experience at this. If you need advice or have questions or concerns....just leave a note, and one of us will reply back. Take care.

Andy

Mrs.A

A zipper... goodness, that would be something!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
2SelfBTru

I also rinse my bag every time I empty it, I feel cleaner doing this and don't fear the odor. I clean the opening with either toilet paper or handy wipes (free and clear). I use a paste when adhering my flange, I have tried the Cera Plus flange without paste and fear that with the output I would get skin problems so use the paste to keep the output off my skin. I also feel safer with the added help in securing it. I have never had a problem (knock on wood) since I have been doing this, I go as many as 5 days and have gone seven but just feel cleaner changing at 3-5 days.

Bagface

Since you had problems with leakage before, then you shouldn't use water. I made the mistake of using too much water and the result was disastrous!! Now I use it very sparingly.

dls

Whatever works for your needs. I do a thorough rinse with my one-piece every time I empty my bag, otherwise my bag is lined, not empty. Yes, water can be a mistake if you don't have one thing: excellent adhesion. There is an 'early warning system' for imminent leaks. Although our stomas have no nerve endings, our peristomal skin and our abdomens certainly do. When I rinse my one-piece, I pay attention to 'how the water feels'. If I feel cool water between my skin and wafer, my seal is deteriorating and will soon need a change. If I only feel the water pressure and movement, my seal is holding. I rinse my bag about 4 times a day and depending on circumstances, have had a six-day run with no 'Water Warning'. If I get a warning and cannot change immediately, I tape up or use elastic barrier strips--they will hold for a full day and even overnight. I've water-rinsed with the barrier strips or waterproof tape and not sprung a leak (I do get nervous). Water WILL erode your adhesion but with decent products, you get good wear time.

shewastaken

I think I've always rinsed out my bag. I learned early on, though, to use only cold water so as not to compromise my wafer seal. (I use a Coloplast, non-filter, one piece.) I rinse the entire bag. I use a rollator due to arthritis. I have purchased a multi-pocketed messenger bag and have it loaded with all my supplies and affixed to my rollator. I can make 4-5 changes and feel much better about leaving the house now. I bring my water bottle with me as well. But I digress...

I'm not the neatest person, but I do get picky about my bag. Maybe because my arthritis limits my ability to wipe out the neck of the bag, or, I just prefer the lighter weight (as previously mentioned), or just not having to look at it...

Puppyluv56

Hey,

I did not start out rinsing my pouch out but found out very soon that to be more sanitary and feel clean, I needed to do that! I don't usually do it if I am away from home but it is the first thing I do when I get back! I irrigate so have little output now but on occasion, due to treatment, I get some surprises!

It just keeps things smelling and looking better! I love my pouches that have peek-a-boo slots to check on things. If my stoma is covered in poo, I cannot check it out properly!

warrior

I rotate my bag at night, meaning it's normally horizontal like a belt all day. And at night, I rotate it vertically straight down to the floor with a strap to hold it tightly. I rinse before I rotate it. We all know how thick that stuff can be. You don't want it pouring out if you disconnect to rotate it. I always use the two-piece system. It works for me, and cleaning with warm or cold water is a good idea prior to rotating. Also, I tend to think it's a fresh bag after doing so. I feel cleaner after bouncing that water around and letting it go in the toilet is just something to adjust to. Still nasty, but the good outweighs the bad.

sassie

I rinse mine, but I use a 2-piece and snap it off so I can really clean it and snap on, good to go..

warrior

That's cool. Sounds like a lot of work though, plus the ickiness of it all. I find rinsing with the pouch attached cleans pretty good and is not as messy. I just hate this thing and less time doing anything for it serves me happy. :). Also, I don't know how rinsing would help with a one-piece unless there is an open bottom end. That makes sense. I just can't picture it right now. So much equipment out there, nice to have variety.

Puppyluv56

Rinsing out the two-piece does make you feel as if you have changed your pouch. I rinse until I can clearly see my stoma through the peep window! It may help the life of the pouch as well, getting all that acidic yuck out of there!

Puppy

Newme19

I'm pretty new to all of this as I just had a temporary ileostomy procedure done in April after having surgery. After a few weeks, once my outputs changed from being liquid to very thick, I started rinsing my bag to help clear it out. I currently rinse three to four times a day, with lukewarm tap water from a cup. So far I've had no issues with my seal. I use a Hollister 2-piece bag, I change out my bag every two to three days, and change my wafer twice a week. Rinsing the bag makes it cleaner and lighter, and it doesn't feel like it's pulling on my skin.

BKB100564

Been an ostomate for 13 years. I rinse several times a day and wear a bag for a week. Never had an issue. May depend on the bag though. I use a Convatec 22771 cut to fit.

Puppyluv56

Wow, I just found all the people that this site keeps saying are members! They are all on this post! Where are all of you guys? Never seen most of those that posted. Come back to us! Lol

What a great stream of posts!

It does seem that most of us just have to do the rinsing for sanitary reasons! Seems about right! Even though I irrigate, on occasion there are presents, depending on my diet. Rinsing has never made any difference in the wear time of my flange. May even help it some! Irrigation also throws a lot of water at the wafer and has not seemed to lessen the wear time.

Puppyluv

lovely

I have a hose that connects to the hose that fills the commode. It does not interfere with the filling of the commode tank and has a sprayer on the end. It is normally used to wash out cloth diapers. I take the pouch loose from the barrier, wipe the barrier clean, then hold the bag over the commode with the end clip off and wash the bag out. I wash it out from the top of the bag.

Puppyluv56

That would be awesome. My husband mentioned doing something like that a long time ago but just never got around to it. May have to mention it to him again. Would make things easier.  

Puppyluv

lovely

Need to clear up something when I said I wash it out from the top of the bag, I meant I spray it in the top of the pouch.