Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,240 members

Bowel blockage

Posted by weewee, on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:48 am
over easy egg sandwich, mountain dew, coffee, tea, chocolate, applejuice, grapefruit juice (NO PULP) yes BACON ohyummy fried chicken,turkey sandwiches, grilled cheese, deviled eggs burgerking yup thecheaper it is the faster it goes here is my list of OH you cant stop menow and yes now i know how a goose feels old phraze"shittin like agoose"
Reply by Catesmom, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:54 pm
...


Last edited by Catesmom on Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by lottagelady, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 pm
                                 
Catesmom wrote:
I was relieved to hear your story. There have been times when I have been constipated and I would get a temperature. I too have a "new vagina" (due to pelvic exenteration for cervical ca), and a fistula, at which time I would have "leakage" from down below.
It has happened several times. I mentioned it to my oncolgist, but he didn't think there was a connection with the temperatures/constipation/and discharge.


Ummm, last time I was in hospital with a 'blockage', I had the usual ileostomy loop bypassing with resultant faecal discharge through my fistula, a very slightly elevated temp but my bloods showed an infection 'somewhere'? It passed overnight but I was on IV antibiotics for a couple of days followed by the ubiquitous thrush ... all beginning to make a bit more sense maybe? Does the blockage cause infection or the infection cause the blockage? Chicken and egg scenario....
Reply by Txgirl, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm
i think blockage= infection....??
Reply by beatrice, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 pm
I had a 'blockage' 7 days post op (perm ileostomy) while I was in the hospital. There was no doubt something was up -- fever, bag filling then nothing, nausea, not much cramping (I wasn't on any solid food at that time, just IV) but truly feeling sick.

In my case, the fever came on as a result of the blockage ... which wasn't a food blockage -- the intestine had swollen.

I felt like I was being poisoned. Then the NG - nasal gastric - tube was inserted (). Hard to get used to it, but it made me feel better almost immediately as the stomach fluids were drained away.

The idea of blockages scares the crap out of me! I'm hoping that healthy and careful eating will help prevent them from happening.

Anyone do "everything right" and still get blockages?
Reply by lottagelady, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm
                                 
beatrice wrote:
I had a 'blockage' 7 days post op (perm ileostomy) while I was in the hospital. There was no doubt something was up -- fever, bag filling then nothing, nausea, not much cramping (I wasn't on any solid food at that time, just IV) but truly feeling sick.

In my case, the fever came on as a result of the blockage ... which wasn't a food blockage -- the intestine had swollen.

I felt like I was being poisoned. Then the NG - nasal gastric - tube was inserted (). Hard to get used to it, but it made me feel better almost immediately as the stomach fluids were drained away.

The idea of blockages scares the crap out of me! I'm hoping that healthy and careful eating will help prevent them from happening.

Anyone do "everything right" and still get blockages?



Healthy eating generally equates to high 'fibre', low fat, low salt, sugar etc. As a diabetic, that's the one I'm supposed to follow, however as an ileostomate - ha! Not always that easy - a case of suck it and see what suits ..... not everything does! You will get used to what gives you gas or cramps and work it out. Initially I could eat almost anything and it wouldn't bother me, nowadays everything I eats seems to cause me to feel nauseous, suspect however that is my hernia which is huge ( another thing to watch out for Beatrice as that in itself can cause nasty problems - watch what you are lifting and try support yourself if coughing/sneezing... oh the joys!). Might be worth keeping a food diary to start with to see if any patterns develop? Good luck, Rachel x
Reply by beatrice, on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Thanks! What I'm realizing from reading here and experiencing ... life with ostomy is unpredictable. Not that life with Ulcerative Colitis was predictable ... now I just a whole new set of things that could happen.

For me right now (not quite a month since operation) - healthy eating is a low residue diet with some well cooked tender meat. I take small bites and chew a kazillion times - and have smaller meals more often. Used to eat like a football player - those days are gone.

Yes, the issue of hernias has been stressed to me. Sorry to hear you have such a large one. Does the potential for getting a hernia stay the same ... or is it less likely the more years you have your ostomy?  I'm used to 'doing it all' and now picking up my 11lb cat is not a great idea?

All the best to you.
Reply by lottagelady, on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:42 am
                                 
beatrice wrote:
Thanks! What I'm realizing from reading here and experiencing ... life with ostomy is unpredictable. Not that life with Ulcerative Colitis was predictable ... now I just a whole new set of things that could happen.

For me right now (not quite a month since operation) - healthy eating is a low residue diet with some well cooked tender meat. I take small bites and chew a kazillion times - and have smaller meals more often. Used to eat like a football player - those days are gone.

Yes, the issue of hernias has been stressed to me. Sorry to hear you have such a large one. Does the potential for getting a hernia stay the same ... or is it less likely the more years you have your ostomy?  I'm used to 'doing it all' and now picking up my 11lb cat is not a great idea?

All the best to you.


Hi again Beatrice. I think that the potential is always there as you have a 'split' in the muscle wall which if 'stressed' may split further - however, the fitter you were around that area to start with may have an effect - I am quite a big lass anyway, but used to ride a lot - that caused it to worsen so I had to stop. I know they say don't lift anything heavier than a kettle when you've had abdominal surgery - I suppose its a case of 'just be careful' and maybe let someone else take the strain - but when you are an independant person, it isn't so easy to let go! I think the low residue and chewing a lot will do the trick for now - just keep adding things one at a time to see what happens.... xx
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 pm
Seems like none of you have the same issues as mine.  Apparently Urostomies are not as common.  But what puzzles me is that my surgery had nothing to do with my bowels or anything, only my bladder being removed and a stoma "installed".  So why would I have bowel blockage?  It leads me back to my original self-diagnosis that when they took out that section of my large intestine, it either got sewn back together slightly twisted (like my sense of humor sometimes! LOL) or the stitched areas don't stretch like the rest of the intestine.  As for softeners or laxatives, none of that stuff works.  Whatever I consume just piles on top of whatever is already blocked.  That's why I believe the greasy foods, especially hamburger, helps things get going.  Again, I've noticed that very few of you in this thread (if anyone) has a Urostomy, so it makes me wonder why a person with a Urostomy would even have bowel issues.  Any clues?  I'm very interested in this topic.  Thanks.  Love you all.  This site is like family, only sweeter!
Reply by lottagelady, on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm
Hi Hairball - only thing I can think of is surgical adhesions? Try a google search and see if that sheds any light? Rachel xx
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:23 pm
                                 
Hairball wrote:
Seems like none of you have the same issues as mine.  Apparently Urostomies are not as common.  But what puzzles me is that my surgery had nothing to do with my bowels or anything, only my bladder being removed and a stoma "installed".  So why would I have bowel blockage?  It leads me back to my original self-diagnosis that when they took out that section of my large intestine, it either got sewn back together slightly twisted (like my sense of humor sometimes! LOL) or the stitched areas don't stretch like the rest of the intestine.  As for softeners or laxatives, none of that stuff works.  Whatever I consume just piles on top of whatever is already blocked.  That's why I believe the greasy foods, especially hamburger, helps things get going.  Again, I've noticed that very few of you in this thread (if anyone) has a Urostomy, so it makes me wonder why a person with a Urostomy would even have bowel issues.  Any clues?  I'm very interested in this topic.  Thanks.  Love you all.  This site is like family, only sweeter!


Mate i have been saying this to my Doctors for years. When I eat greasy food whether it be chips, hamburgers or really fatty food I rarely have an issue with my bowels. If I eat healthy salads, fruit etc it causes blockages and total chaos. So I,m with you on that score.
Reply by Txgirl, on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:15 pm
me too! I can eat the shittiest food and im good, i eat fruit and veggies..im all sick.
Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Can I just say that as a Incisional Hernia sufferer for a couple of years , there is light at the end of the tunnel. After my Illeal Conduit op for my Urostomy  I eventually ended up with a large hernia, It looked somewhat like a large football hanging off my allready distended belly.It didnt cause me too much trouble & My digestion was fine--I could eat anything.

On a routine check up my surgeon told me he was going to repair the hernia & give me a tummy tuck. Well its brilliant , Gone from 37-38" waist back down to 33". I healed very quickly & the scar is really neat & my ostomy stoma wasnt affected at all.

However the downside was , that whilst in Hosp & 4 weeks after coming home my digestion was all over the place. Wind, Constipation, Feeling sick , Nausia & lack of appitite.I could probably blame the Medication & Anesthetic. However things have vastly improved over the past week & I'm almost back to normal.

If you do get a chance to have your hernia repaired Go For It--I look & feel better & have a lot more confidence. I cant really help with bowel blockage -althougn I know the odd Asian Indian curry Blow out does me the power of good.
Reply by tiger227, on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 am
Hi Ria

WTG Ria, it is great to have a Possitive Mental Attitude, it is what helps us all survive our terrible ordeal.
I count my blessings everyday that I am bnot pushing up the daisy's.
I used to suffer terrible pains with blockages until my Stoma Nurse recommened for me to start taking MOVICOL.
I have to take between 2 to 8 satchets  day but it has made a huge difference to my life.
I very rarely get a blockage now, but if \i do it is my own fault for not takinf enough MOVICOL.
I get it on prescrition, so I am very lucky as some people are not able to.
I hope this is of help to you.

Take care

Love and hugs
Jean
Reply by tiger227, on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 pm
Hi Rachel

Sorry to hear movicol did not work for you, guess we have to find something that suits our stystems.
I haven't had any trouble with blockage since I started taking it.
I find if I eat to much fruit, it makes my stoma smart and very painful, I do eat a lot of greens tho, guess that helps, but if I didn't take my movicol I would be in agony.
By the way I have tried everything under the sun before I found a product that suited me.

Take care
Love and hugs
Jean
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 11    
1 members & 10 visitors
w30bob (m)