Parastomal hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
SHRONB

I now have what my surgeon calls a parastomal hernia. I would like to hear from anyone who also has one and what they do about it on a day-to-day basis. My surgeon does not want to perform surgery unless it begins to bother me. What about a parastomal hernia belt?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

We are susceptible to hernia because of the stoma. I had one develop after 27 years, which caused some irregularity and discomfort.

The surgery with mesh is hard to repair if it comes back again, which is also common. The surgery to stitch the muscle is easier to repair, and this is what I chose. It made a major improvement for me. If you have any discomfort, I would recommend a second opinion from another surgeon.

All the best,

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello SHRONB.  This is a recurring problem which has has a great deal of correspondence in the past which I found helpful. You can find this in 'CONTENTS --Premium Contents--hernia and stoma' located in  the left hand column on your screen. 

I decided not to go for repair, based on what I read and my own preferrence for staying as far away from hospitals as I can. I made a template to fit exactly round my stoma and used it under the hernia belt, which seemed to have helped it stay in place and not get any bigger. 

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi all, I've got a hernia about the size of half a grapefruit and it usually doesn't bother me unless I overdo it like yardwork. My regular doctor has looked at it but doesn't want to do anything unless it causes a lot of problems.

funnygurl

Same here. I was at an ostomy conference where one of the speakers explained that one half of ostomates develop a hernia at some point. My surgeon said in his experience it is actually 100%. You can get a hernia belt to prevent hernias and to help prevent an existing one from getting worse.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister