ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
ConvaTec - Search All Things Ostomy
Meet and talk to 18,833 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 18,833 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Ostomy reversal & cosmetic surgery outcomes

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 am

I am a healhy 47 year old that have always excersized and taken pride and care of myself, athletic ..etc. On December 22nd 2017, I went to poop that morning and ended up in excruciating pain. Went to the Emergency room...after 2-3 hours, they told me my colon had ruptured. They removed 9 inches of my sigmoid colon, surgery lasted 3.5 hours because I was so septic and almost died. Spent 11 days in the hospital and I am left with a colostomy bag and have been told that I can reverse my condition in 4 months.  in addition, I had an open wound and just got off the wound vac machine this wesk.

Any advice or help is appreciated!!!

While I faced death, I am happy to be alive but devastated this happened to me.

I am looking for support here:
1.) Should I be worried about the reversal success?
2.) Anyone ever go to a cosmetic surgeon to repair their scars?  They cut me around the right side of my belly button then straight down.  I know it's early...but I will want to cosmetically change my belly button and at least have my scar asymmetrical.

Thanks

Marty

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:33 am

Marty,

I don't think you'll have to worry about the reversal as the reason for your colostomy is because you had a ruptured colon.  Most of us with ostomies are due to cancer, Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or other forms of IBD.

I sympathize with the scar you have as you weren't prepared for emergency surgery.  I have a scar from mid chest to my groin and it goes around the left of my belly button.  I was an outtie before the surgery and now I'm an innie....lol.  But scars do fade.  I've not heard of anyone having plastic surgery to align a scar.  You might do a search in the forums.  Also do a search on reversal surgery to get better prepared for it.  I'm sure some other members will chime in here.

Bain

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I had a colostomy reversal almost two months ago. I am keeping the scars and owning them. I had a colostomy bag for about six months while a bowel injury healed. 

My reversal went well. I would really focus first on getting that piece squared away before thinking about the cosmetics of fixing what happened. I totally get you want your old self back. My normal is a new normal with some limitations. I am guessing you will have them too with the amount of incisions you have had weakening your abdomen wall... hernias etc. 

have you googled what the takedown scar looks like?  Mine doesn't lay flat and is puckered  

Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi everyone,

My reversal was on April 19th and everything went well.  I was in surgery nearly 4 hours to have this done laproscopically.  My surgeon said that she had to remove scar tissue but everything went well.  The first 2 weeks were no cake-walk at home. I had to use the restroom with mucas & diahrea every 20-30 minutes around the clock it seemed.  I recommend a lot of sits baths in the bathtub.  Everything is weorking great now, I am 1 month post operation and still waiting for the swelling to go down all the way.  This has been one hell of an experience from start to finish that I would never wish on my worst enemy. I am glad to be alive and so thankful of the surgeon that too care of me.  

I know it might sound vein, but I will look into cosmetic surgery 1 year from now...well see.  I take great pride in feeling and looking good inside and out...just the way I was made.

If anyone ever wants any support on what I went through...please message me.  

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.