Desperate for Ostomy Clip Substitute!

Replies
Views
cynamyngrlx68

My friend has a colostomy and the most recent package with her ostomy supplies left out the clips!!! Her daughter called me trying to figure out what to do but I had no clue at all....she said she threw out the old clip when she changed the bag and it's already gone now...does anyone know of a good substitute until she can get another one tomorrow????? Please help!

rac 85020

It's probably not the best fix, but I've had this problem in the past and I used a rubber band. It's not the best solution, but it does work. You have to make sure it's really, really, really tight on it though, and there's still no guarantee it won't leak, but it's the only thing I can come up with right now. The only other idea that I have is if you go to your local hospital and explain to them what's going on. Some of them have medical supplies on the wards, and maybe they can get you a clip off of the ward there, but chances of that are slim. But you can try it. I hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,426 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dadnabbit

Maybe large paper clips? I don't really know as I use a Sensura Mio and they have Velcro closure instead of clips. Good luck

Peace

Bill

Hello cynamyngrlx68. An interesting problem you pose. I don't use ordinary bags but I do use two clips to seal my irrigation sleeves (which are basically a very long bag). The ones I use are the the small springy metal paper grabs you can get from any stationers. They are cheap,  light,  have a good, strong grip and I have never had them slip off once they are placed in position. Because I wear the sleeve overnight, I fold it up to make a bag and my clips go on the top, rather than  the bottom but the principle will be the same.

I hope this suggestion helps

Best wishes

Bil  

countyclare

I use the small 1/2 inch size squeeze paper clips. You can buy these in any drug store or Staples store.

You have to close and fold the pouch opening 2 or 3 times

and then fan fold the pouch ending to fit into the squeeze paper clip.

With a few minutes of practice, it will work like a charm!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mrs.A

Binder clips work.