Seeking Advice: Revision for Flush Stoma?

Replies
Views
wearingit

I have a flush stoma for my urostomy, meaning that I need to wear convex wafers and a belt to keep the stoma from receding to the level with the stomach wall. Because of this, I also need to change my bag every other day to try and prevent skin issues around the stoma.

I have used four different seals and have visited two different stoma/wound care nurses. They recommended using the crusting procedure when skin issues arise. That is using a stoma powder followed by a protective seal solution. This clears it up, but it returns.

So I was wondering if anyone has had a revision of the stoma so that the stoma sticks out slightly on a permanent basis. This would probably resolve my issue as the stoma would have a better chance to eliminate the urine clearly into my pouch.

I thank you all so much for any information on this matter.

Past Member

I rinse with Arm & Hammer baking soda and water. Apply olive extract, dry then mount your pouch. Your bags are for groceries and trash. This life has no bags that we hear in Baltimore. Just kidding, don't like that word. Change often, eat a lot of oats granola. Think like a horse. You can handle it with no burn. Horses are very strong. Good luck, Jerz.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello wearingit. Thank you for your post, for although I do not have the problem, it does give me the opportuntity to contemplate what I might attempt to do about it if the occsion was to arise. The first thing that crosses my mind, is that lots hof people with liquid output have commented on similar  problems whether they have a flush stoma or a protruding one, so having it altered might not resolve the problem. I would be looking to experiment with some kind of catheta system which would allow the urine to exit without coming into contact with the stoma or the skin. When I was anally irrigating I had a great catheta  about the diameter of a pencil, which, once it was on the inside, had a balloon that pumped up  and stopped the output from exiting anywhere but through the tube. I've adapted these cathetas for several different experiments and I'm still using one as an aid to to irrigation.  It is a pity that there are not manufacturers out there experimenting to make individual lives easier when there are problems like this. Unfortunately, (or fortunately)  there are not enough people who suffer, to make it worthwhile financially to continuously experiment, research and develop 'one-off' gadgets.  The various things that I have made, has convinced me that most of the the gadgets need to be bespoke to suit the individual concerned and it is not just a question of having a good idea and getting it to work first time. Quite often I have had to tweek the originals many times before it becomes functional and safe. I have had many gadgets that simply do not work, even though the concept was sound. If the manufacturers will not push forward on these things, then I feel it is incumbant upon us to experiment and see what we can come up with that makes our lives easier than they would otherwise be.

I hope you can find a solution to your own problems soon.

Best wishes

Bill 

Angelgucc

I have a colostomy bag and I have very sensitive skin, so I kept getting a rash and bleeding after a BM! They told me also to crust, but I found diaper cream healed it up and no bag for 12 hours collecting stool in a container with a chuck (blue pad) under it! Since then, no more rashes. I also change my wafer and seal every other day or two. I poked holes in the top of a water bottle and rinse between the wafer changes in the shower. Now that I have a 2-piece bag, I just toss and put on a new one every day. When I had a 1-piece appliance, I would rinse it out after every BM with just water and that handy water bottle! Kept from feces sitting on stoma and skin too long! Just put the top of a water bottle and squeeze in fresh water until clean, empty as you normally would! Now I only have to use a prep pad, seal, wafer, and bag! HOPE this HELPS

Angel

Angelgucc

I am saying put water bottle in bag. Never put anything in your stoma unless a doctor says to! When rinsing stoma in the shower with a wafer, I hold it about an inch away and just keep refilling the water bottle until clean. The holes act like a showerhead!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vdahl

Hi Wearingit!

I have the same issue, only with an ileostomy (from the small intestine and output is often very watery/acidic). It's a bit over a year since my surgery and the skin still isn't healed. Frankly, I don't see how it can since it's impossible to keep the skin (especially below) around my stoma dry. I use a two-piece deep convex system and I've tried crusting, using colloidal silver to rinse, every combination of skin barriers, powders, sprays, towelettes, what I call "gaskets", butt cream, air dry and/or any idea I hear or can come up with. My surgeon says revising the stoma is out of the question. I have to change everything every other day or it's a real mess. I get close... very close, but then it seems I go back 6 steps. The only thing I haven't tried is to lay on my tummy being sure everything drips straight down without touching my skin -- I can't even imagine being able to do such a crazy thing. I am going to try the soda water - thanks Kemo jerz!

I'm open to any other ideas you come across. I'm anxious to see if you are able to get relief and whether or not they will consider revising your stoma.

Keep in touch, Vicki