Leaking issues with Sensura Mio despite rash relief - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Booters

Does anyone have trouble with leaking with the Sensura Mio? I've had an ostomy for 6 months and a rash for 4 of those months. I tried the Sensura Mio and the rash went away, but I'm having small leaks around the stoma and I don't know that it has leaked until I take the bag off. Then there is some skin irritation. I love this bag except for the leaks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

funnygurl

Do you use paste around stoma or Eakin seals?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
funnygurl

Do you use paste around the stoma or Eakin seals? You may also need convexity.

dadnabbit

Booters, I too use the SenSura Mio. It was the first system I used and I've never had a reason to change. One thing I learned on my own--with the Mio, less is more. I use NOTHING other than the one-piece pouch. The adhesive on the Mio is sufficient to keep the bag adhered without issues. Yet it requires no adhesive remover to take the bag off. Many folks use a seal like a Perfect Choice or an Eakin Slims around the stoma before affixing the pouch. I don't. IF I experience a leak, because let's face it they happen for all kinds of reasons, then I will use a barrier wipe when I change to give the skin some extra protection from irritation from that previous leak. I also keep barrier strips on hand because I live in North Carolina and the humidity can wreak havoc on any system, so the strips provide extra security when out in the stickiness. I shower and change my Mio daily, which I know most people don't do, but I feel better that way. Basically, I'm a firm believer that the fewer supplies I need to buy, as long as the system works, the happier I am, so I invest in the extra bags rather than all the other stuff, and it seems to work well for me. Good luck figuring out what works best for you.

Peace

Nancy

Jenerprise

One thing I always did was hold my hand over the seal for a couple of minutes to make sure it was secure right after I changed my bag. My wound nurse always had me do this as she said the transfer of warmth from your hand helps create a stronger seal.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
funnygurl

You can also use a hair dryer to heat the flange and activate adhesive before applying it to the skin.

OstomySister

My brother uses Sensura Mio high output bag with spout for 9 months now. It's the only bag that hasn't disappointed us. We've tried all the sample protective barrier rings we could find and usually came back to Eakin rings and Coloplast protective sheet. The protective sheets are used when you have really irritated skin and you want it to heal. They're huge and I usually cut it into 4, otherwise we use the Eakin rings that absorb the leaking. Also, we use warm towels for 10 minutes after we put in a new pouch. We change his ileostomy bag every 3 days.