Options for Colostomy Support Underwear?

Replies
Views
Ali Canada

For those with a colostomy but no hernia, do you wear (a) support belt or wrap, (b) support underwear, (c) ostomy underwear with no support, or (d) regular underwear? If you wear support underwear, where do you get them? If you wear ostomy underwear, where do you get them? I live in Canada.

funnygurl

I have a hernia belt custom made for me and paid for by ADL. I wear Hanes cotton briefs from Walmart.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,426 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I wear a bandeau (tube top) to hold things close. They are from The Bay for $25.00, a Fashion Form product. Last time they did not have any plain ones, they were padded or had boning up the side. Padding would not work for me, I have two with boning that I am trying, seem OK. They said to try Victoria's Secret or online for plain ones.

Angelicamarie

G'morning Ali,
I wear Jockey high-waisted panties. I get them from Macy's. I don't use a hernia belt. It feels like a girdle, but of course, it isn't. But it does a good job holding the bag in place. Hope that helped!
Angelicamarie

Bill

Hello Ali.

Although you are asking people with no hernia to comment, it is as well to consider that prevention of hernias should be a priority and, who better to comment than those who suffer? I wear an adjustable belt from CUI but even that is not enough to hold in my hernia, so I wear a belt over that, which is one of three different ones. one of them is a fairly wide back brace, another is a sturdy belt for carrying tools and, my favourite one, which I wear most of the time, is a simple belt that is designed to keep people from falling out of wheelchairs. I wear this inside out with the large, smooth plastic buckle sited directly over the stoma to keep pressure on the hernia. It only works because I irrigate and don't have output during the day. Interestingly, I cannot wear a belt to hold up my trousers because the weight of the trousers moves the belt, which in turn makes the stoma sore and very uncomfortable.

Best wishes  Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ali Canada

Thank you all for your comments. I am trying to see what most people use or don't use. I don't have a hernia and don't want one. I am an active person with my activity level going up so I don't want a hernia. I am floored by the price of ostomy underwear, belts, and wraps.

vikinga

Hi Ali,

I have an ileostomy. I wear string bikini underwear. It just works for me. I don't use any support underwear. Hate stuff on my waistline. And I do have a small peristomal hernia, no big deal. You can use a pregnant support wrap if you want to cover. They are available fairly cheap at Target or other stores.

Immarsh

Hi Ali,

For me, searching for appropriate underwear, bras, and bathing suits (that support both belly and bust), has always been difficult. I've had my ostomy for over 50+ years....and although I don't like having anything "tight" around my waist, I've always worn a light support/stretch panty. That's mostly because I was "inflated" with fluids (from steroids) when I had my surgery, and then after it, I had to wear a back brace....for almost a year. (Degenerative Disc disease/Osteoporosis). After the surgery, and off the medications, I lost all the water weight, but found that the skin on both my belly and "boobs" lost elasticity and texture. No more did I have a flat teen/belly. But the elastic panty served me well, even though they were often too high. It took me into my 20's to spend the extra money to have the undies cut down, and a lighter elastic put in. When I find panties that "fit," I buy a dozen...or more. I tried the high leg, Jockey stretch....but they were way too light to hold in both my belly and to keep my pouch in place. Years ago, I found a style in one of the plus-sized stores that really worked well because the waist was low, didn't bind or irritate, but kept the pouch firmly against my belly. They still make the same style.....so I buy another dozen every few years. In the past, when a bathing suit material was too thin, I wore a pair of panties under it....just to be safe. But these days, many suits come with that control belly panel....which serves the purpose. At night, I just wear a cotton brief to keep my pouch in place, in case I try to roll over. Haven't slept on my belly for 50+ years. I hope this helps... Kudos to you...Vikinga.. I have never worn a string bikini, much less string bikini underwear.... Sigh... I didn't have the figure for it when I was 12 (and got sick) and after surgery.....I was a lumpy bumpy mess. But no real regrets....because I'm alive.. These are just "shopping" challenges.

Susanne

Hi Ali,

I live in Canada too and there are great places to buy ostomy underwear. I am in BC, and there is a great ostomy care place in New Westminster, not sure where you are. I do not wear anything like that - only regular undies (Jockey) as I irrigate and only wear a very small stoma cover pouch.