Complications from ileostomy: Stricture and adhesions require redo surgery

Replies
Views
freedancer

Well, I've been in the hospital now since late Wednesday night. I had another blockage and this time the CAT scan showed another problem and enlarged intestines. I have had bad bouts of pain since getting the first emergency surgery. I was basically unable to eat anything without difficulty. I have been telling the doctor for the last 5 months that something was not working right. My output was very loose all the time and nothing like it was described. By 7 months, I should have had a pretty decent diet set up but the only thing that I could eat was Ramen, soup, and other light foods. I read where most folks could eat most anything a few months out and I had issues with almost everything. Well, I was admitted early Thursday morning and had surgery at 0730 on Friday for a redo of the ileostomy. The doctor got in there and immediately saw a stricture that he said he was flabbergasted at how tight it was. He stated he couldn't believe that anything could have gotten through it. There were also very large adhesions that were present. He had to cut out the stricture and rebuild the ileostomy and enlarge the area and cut away the adhesions so things would move better. He said the bowels were very swollen and thick. He seems to feel things will be better now and that I will be able to eat better and things will move through better. I am now back at square one again so I hope this is the end of this roller coaster ride. I hope I don't lose the rest of my hair due to this surgery. I lost three quarters of my hair with the last surgery. Time will tell. I am walking now without assistance and am eating a soft diet now. I think I can go home Tuesday or Wednesday.

Angelicamarie

Freedancer,

Sorry to hear that you were hospitalized, hope you have a speedy recovery, and hopefully you'll be able to eat nutrients other than noodles. Maybe they will find a solution for your aches and pain. Good luck!! Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jo714

Sorry to hear that you've had to go through all of that. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Hopefully with this surgery, you will start to feel good and it will allow you to be able to eat well. Best wishes!

Josephine

freedancer

Thank you! Things are looking up, they just took off my IV.

Bill

Hello freedancer. Sorry to hear of all your problems over the past months but I'm so pleased that you have finally got something done about it that sounds as if it will work for you. I hope everything progresses well for you from now on.

Best wishes

Bill

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dadnabbit

Freedancer--so sorry you went through such a rough time of it from the previous surgery, but hopefully this time things will go as they should and you will once again be able to enjoy the simple pleasure of eating the foods that you love. I'm not at all surprised to hear there was a severe stricture and multiple adhesions. They are more common than most of us realize. Time will heal your body and your heart and soul will heal as the frustration from your past experience fades.

Peace

Nancy

October Born

Hi Freedancer,

So sorry to hear of the problems you've been having, but hopefully this will take care of the issues. I have the same problems, but nothing can be done (got 3 different opinions) because I'm full of adhesions and scar tissue, so I am constantly getting small blockages. My GI tells me to drink 12 bottles of water a day, yeah right, that's not happening. My diet is very limited like yours, and when I eat, it feels like the output is clawing its way out of me, pain almost constantly. I am glad you were blessed with a solution because, as you know, it's hard to live this way. Hoping for a speedy recovery and a wonderful outcome for you.

Darlene

Mrs.A

Hi Freedancer,

I too am glad to hear that the doctors finally took a good look at what was going on and have taken the proper measures to set things right. Glad your IV is out and you're walking, next stop will hopefully be home where you can rest up and heal.

Being back at "square one" is tough, but you can do it, one day at a time! Wishing you well and will say a prayer for you.

Keep us posted when you can.