Concerns about reversal surgery - need advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Babydoll

Good evening to all,

Hope all is well, I am just asking what should I expect on my reversal? It's been a tough year for me but finding the right clothes to feel comfortable with myself. My family and my fiance have been by my side all along. I have been strong and have not let this get me down. I'm just nervous on the reversal since I had a lot of things go wrong during my 2 surgeries done at the beginning of last year. I'm just blabbing off...

Hope to hear from someone,

Thanks bunches...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Good luck with your surgery, keep the group posted as to your progress! I would be excited to be reversed if it was an option for me. MMsh

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sasquatch

I can't tell you what to expect, but I will wish you luck. Myself, I've decided not to go down the road of reversal, I'll be "bagging it" the rest of the way. Stay positive, and keep us updated.

DonBrown1943

I had my reconnection surgery done on September 21, 2017. The only problem I had was that I contracted an MRSA infection during the surgery, but that had nothing to do with the reconnection. Once that was healed, I have had no further problems. I have learned to take a stool softener and a gentle laxative every day, but I can eat anything I want. I also had a major hernia repair and that has slowed me down, making sure that I don't reopen that hernia while recovering my strength. Go for it and good luck!

Bill

Hello Babydoll. I just wanted to add my own best wishes for your upcoming reversal. There should be nothing to worry about as theseĀ proceduresĀ  are completed regularly without complications. One of the problems with coming on a site like this, is it is a forum that will attract people who have had problems which they want to share, so we tend to get a somewhat biased view of things going wrong.

I would love to here from you again after the surgery to let us know how things went for you!

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Babydoll

Oh no, yes a lot went wrong, believe me. I went to the emergency room the day after Christmas since I had a very bad pain. The doctor admitted me, of course, and I had everything done that they could possibly do in the hospital. The problem was that I didn't have insurance at the time. Sondra didn't want to take me and do the surgery on me, which they found I had a 10cm ball of mass behind my ovaries. Well, one good doctor where I live helped me out and never let it go until he found a doctor that was willing to do the surgery. But of course, like any doctor that wants to get paid or in my case, he came in and talked to me and said I had two options. One was either to get the surgery done or just go home on birth control and see how I feel and if it starts to go down??? Like, what the heck!!! Ughhh, some doctors... Of course, I talked with my mom and the next day I was being put on the schedule for surgery. Well, I had procedures done where I was hurt pretty bad. The day comes when the surgery date is and all this time I'm in pain since the pain meds are not working anymore. I went in for the surgery, came out, recouped, of course, then went back to the room. The nurses, of course, wanted me to stand up and start walking around... I couldn't, I was hurting pretty bad... Well, turns out that the doctor did not remove the ball of mass and he opened me where he wasn't supposed to. My mom was pissed beyond belief... I have a c-section scar where he cut me open and to top it all off, the doctor never went to go and see me after or let my mom and me know what he did to me... Well, since they found out I still had it, I was sent to another city for surgery... Also, I had problems with procedures finding a doctor that was willing to operate since it was too risky and I was turned down by a couple of doctors. Finally, one did and I had to have so much removed since the other surgery was a total mess and I cannot have children anymore due to all of this as well. So yeah, now I'm on the way to the hospital with nerves like hell but hoping for the best. So yeah, I know this page is to meet people with the same or similar situations and I have read many stories of people that have been through the same situations or better/worse. Oh well, you guys take care and hope to hear from you guys soon.

Babydoll

Wow, that would be a tough one for me to take, but I didn't have an option because of what I went through. I didn't want to keep it anymore... I mean, I will miss my baggie and stuff, but nah, the sooner they can remove it the better. Best wishes to you.

Wilski

Don't worry. I had my reversal and it went extremely well. I'm sorry I waited as long as I did to get it. I was 66 at the time.

Before you know it, you'll be as good as new. Good luck.

Babydoll

Hi guys,

Well, unfortunately not everything goes our way, well, mine. So I had my colostomy reversal, but due to complications, scar tissue, and my intestine being too short, my doctor had a hard time putting it back together. So, in that case, now I came out with an ileostomy!!! I hate it. One week in the hospital, came out and went right back in due to severe dehydration which caused kidney failure and was hospitalized for another couple of days. Just got out yesterday and now awaiting the day for my ileostomy reversal. I can't wait for all this to be over.

So much happens to one in such a short time, but I'm glad to be alive!!!

YOLO!!!

Dee

Wilski

Hi! Don't worry! I had the same thing after my colostomy reversal. Unfortunately, the ileostomy is more difficult to maintain, but with your colostomy experience, you will be fine.

You must, I repeat, must, drink, drink, drink and stay hydrated. My kidneys deteriorated after the ileostomy, and they are the only remaining "complication."

I had my ileostomy reversed exactly 4 years ago after waiting 14 months for the colostomy to heal. I'm as good as new, and I'm in my late 60s. My kidney function is adequate now.

Hang in there. You will get better. Remember to drink!!

Babydoll

Yeah, thanks. I learned that the hard way. I thought it would be the same thing, but nope... What a scare I had. I'm doing better now and waiting to heal, but once I heal, I go back into the hospital for surgery again. Oh well, I'm lucky to have such a great doctor.

Dee

Angelicamarie

Babydoll, sorry you had to endure this, however you have something to look forward to, a reversal, stay strong!! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Angelicamarie

Babydoll

Thank you Angelica Marie, yes but I'm alive and that's what counts.

Angelicamarie

Baby doll, how true!! First and foremost.