Passing stool from bottom with permanent stoma - need advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing the passage of stool from the bottom with a permanent stoma.
sharde

Hi, I'm three years post-op following a permanent colostomy in December 2014.

Following my surgery, I spent four weeks critically ill in ICU as I developed peritonitis and septicemia...

Recently, I have felt the need to sit on the loo when I feel as though I need to open my bowels. I do pass whatever into my stoma, but today I have passed a small amount from my bottom also. I'm finding this quite worrying as I was led to believe that because my stoma is permanent, I should NEVER pass anything from my bowel.

Does anyone have any advice to offer me, PLEASE.

Sharon.

Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

It's not uncommon to pass mucus from your "bottom", even though it's not connected to anything. However, it sounds like you should set up an appointment with someone if you are concerned about it. I'm a little over a year post-surgery, and ever since I pass mucus regularly. I believe I still have some active disease in my disconnected "bottom".

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
NJ Bain

I agree with Sasquatch. If your rectum is intact, it still produces mucus and it will feel like you have to poop. As long as you're not in pain or discomfort, you should be fine. But as he said, if you're concerned, get a checkup.

Bain

tatertot

I'm almost a year post-surgery, then 6 months of chemo. I too have feelings as if I am passing gas or even the urge to poo from time to time. I was told by my surgeon that this is normal. But, as stated, if it concerns you, by all means, do a follow-up to ease your mind if nothing else.

Good luck and best wishes.

Laquetta

sharde

Laquetta (beautiful name), very many thanks for responding to my query. I do hope that you are recovering well and that you are happy.

I may speak with my doctor on Friday as I have an appointment to get her okay for me to drive again, having surrendered my license 6 months ago due to problems with my hip. All good now, thankfully.

I hear what you say, Laquetta, and again, my sincere thanks for your input.

Good luck to you too and my sincere best wishes.

Sharon.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Sharde.  I agre with what has been said in your other replies. I still get anal discharge of mucus after many years and wear incontinence pads as a precaution.  The discharge used to be horrid, lumpy and smelly, which made me concerned that it looked like faeces. However,  anally irrigated (as I had been doing before) and over a period of about a year, the horrid stuff diminished and I was left with relatively clear mucus discharge, which I don't mind so much so I stopped irrigating and just put up with the 'inconvenience'.

Of course, it is helpful if you can discuss these matters with your stoma nurse or the doctors because they can reassure you that it is 'normal' or have you checked over again just to make sure and put your mind at rest. 

I hope all goes well for you

Best wishes

Bill 

sharde

Hello Bill,

Very many sincere thanks for responding to my 'outcry' regarding my bowel dilemma.

I am so grateful to you, along with several other wonderful post-op 'ex-patients', who have been kind enough to respond to my worries. I am seeing my GP tomorrow regarding my hip and my return to driving, so I will be certain to mention this concern I now have with my bowel discharge.

I would like to thank you once again for such constructive advice, Bill, and also to wish you a great total recovery and to wish you the VERY BEST of everything for your future.

Yours, Sharon.

sharde

Dear Sasquatch,

Regarding your very kind response, along with others I have now received... THANK YOU so much. I truly appreciate your input.

I intend to mention my concerns (worries) to my GP, Paula, at my weekly visit in the morning. She is very kind and very 'switched on' when confronted with anything 'unusual', which for me, this really is!

I will certainly let you know the outcome, and I'm sure all will be well.

You take care of yourself and stay as well as possible.

Thanks again for your kindness,

Sincere regards, Sharon.

sharde

Hello NJ Bain!

Greetings from Cornwall, UK.

Thank you so much for taking the time (as have several other wonderful ex-patients) to respond to my queries, so very much appreciated.

I am seeing my doctor early in the morning tomorrow and I'm sure that she will be 'on the ball' regarding this as she knows my fears regarding ever needing further surgery in the future. I will let you know the outcome once I've seen her.

Meantime, NJ, I wish you all the very best in your future with a total recovery and (hopefully) good health from here on in.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Best wishes,

Sharon.''''''