ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Meet and talk to 19,361 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,361 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Rectum Removal Surgery in 1Week YIKES

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 am

Hi There

I had my emergency surgery in Sept 2017 for my stoma,now im 1 week away from getting a "Barbie Butt" Im super scared. Any thoughts comments helpful tips would be greatly aprreciated. Also wondering the recovery time as far as when I can return to work I have a desk job.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 am

Hi basegirl13,

I'm looking at the same surgery this fall.  At my last appt. with my surgeon, he told me my recovery would be 4 weeks.  I was told to invest in a quality hemmoroid cushion, I can see where that would come in handy, keeping pressure off of wounds.  Please keep us posted, I'd like to follow you through this so I'll know what to expect when my turn comes.  Good luck, and best wishes.

Sasquatch

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 am

Hi There

You bet Ill keep you posted on my progress and let you know how it goes.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

When I had mine the pads used to cover the incision were to thick and put pressure on it. I also used a cushion (pillow) for a while. Can not remember how long it took before I gave up the cushion. Best of luck.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 am

Hi... I had my surgery at the same time I had the ileostomy surgery.  I was a bit sore for about 3-4 weeks.  I was back to work full time in 7 weeks ... I am an outside sales rep and do alot of driving.  If I over did it, I felt it.  My only recommendation is to not rush the healing process.  It your incision feels uncomfortable... take a break and rest.  Take care and good luck.  LH

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

My "back-side" surgery was quick and uneventful. It was a long time ago, but I remember recovery to the point of returning to work was something like a week to ten days. Little to no post-surgery pain. A little seepage for a short time, but no big deal. Good luck!

Past Member
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi jerz from Baltimore.i had colen cancer with a years level 5 pain theat left after radiation.it took me 3 mounths before I could stand the way I used to.your blood pressure will be hi.scared rabit fealing.geat smashed before.saying goodbye to a part of you.life will be better for you if you just keep in miend more you eat more you will go.befor you could store till you get up and go now it will be wating for you to tend.bigest thing after geating over your lose of your part.i will pray theat the strinth I had come to you.im still geating over it I don’t think we ever do.its ok what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.i feal sorry for people who have to work with this .keep a lot of pillows and blankets a round you to keep you on your sides and back.sooner or later you will live.😎

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm

hi, Ive had ileostomy since 2009 emergency surgery due to crohnes disease.

Saw my surgeon last week to discuss removal of rectum stump, reason being is my anal canal is closing up, therefore no longer able to have regular checks for cancer.

anybody had this problem, unsure whether to go through with surgery, suffered badly last time with slow healing process, surgeon says will probably have a lot of teething problems !!!!😱😱

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 am

Hello Basegirl13.  Thank you so much for posting on this subject. It has been an option for me for quite a while but I've always put off thinking about it because I don't like the idea of further surgery. However, I'm beginning to get a lot more pain down there and it had crossed my mind that sooner or later I should consider having it removed.  It's great to read so many replies and comments about it.

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 am

Hi Basegirl13,

I had mine done when my ileostomy was made permanent and I'm not going to lie, it was very sore for quite a while. My incision had 3 hard lumps, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle, have no idea why but that's what I had and it took about 4-5 months for those to go away. At my post op appt my Dr told me to put gauze there and it really works to make it more comfortable. I would change everytime I used the restroom so you go through quite a bit of them since we drink so much water we have to pee all the time. I tried different brands (cheaper) but the best was band-aid 2x2 gauze pads. Very soft and comfortable. When washing use antibacterial soap and be very gentle using your hand. Pat dry, again gentle. Fold gauze pad in half and put in place. Like my Dr always says "everyone is different" so you may have a different experience but I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Darlene

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

I had sigmoid colon, rectum and anus removed due to cancer in September. I was in the hospital for a week. Was then discharged from hospital with an air cushion to sit on. Was also told not to sit for long periods of time without getting up and walking around a bit to get pressure off the butt. Was told not to apply any creams to the area. I had wanted to use Tucks wipes but was told by the stoma nuses not to. Just mild soap and water to gently clean. After about a week the pain became just discomfort. Sit down gently and use the air cushion when possible. I am impatient and hoped everything would heal as fast as the stoma and incision, but was told by stoma nurses the anal suturing could take 1 - 6 months to completely heal. At 3 months it was almost healed with the exception of one suture which had pulled a little - but it didn't bother me at all.

Please do not be worried about your operation. Everything should go well. Just take a day at a time and be easy with yourself.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm
basegirl13 wrote:

Hi There

I had my emergency surgery in Sept 2017 for my stoma,now im 1 week away from getting a "Barbie Butt" Im super scared. Any thoughts comments helpful tips would be greatly aprreciated. Also wondering the recovery time as far as when I can return to work I have a desk job.

Hi there BaseGirl . I've had my Osto for years and have a J-Pouch which is disconnected because of Pouchitiis. It looks like I will need to have my Rectum and J_Pouch removed next time I get a flare_up . I am dreading the thought of it. After naby ...too many !!!  years alone I have met a lady. The sex is amazing when we get together !!  It is long distance but We are definitely in a " Thing"  lol...so I do not want to lose my ability to get an erection !!  We've only spent a few weeks together ...her in California , me in Ireland .  

Although I'm a man I think your coming experience will be very instructive and helpful for me ....please write about your experience with side_effects ...If any ...Hopefully NOT !! My sexual function is now more important to me than ever and I would hate to lose it . 

I look forward to reading your future posts BaseGirl .

Best of luck to you and I hope your problems are few and far between ..Love and Hugs to you from Ireland ..Magoo  .

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:41 am

Hi

first time I have actually added something on here but hope it helps basegirl13. I had a Proctectomy in October so therefore no rectum anymore. I have to be completely honest and say that the ‘ bottom’ side of my op was not troublesome at all to start and I could sit quite easily. What I had a lot of trouble with was my tail end/coccyx and I was given a cushion to support this . I had a great deal of discharge and bled vaginally which really worried me as this went on for weeks. However I am definitely not trying to scare you because this was completely normal and it did stop as did my coccyx pain get a lot easier, in fact it just aches a little now but a heat pad does the trick. As far as my bottom, that started to bother me later but again it is perfectly normal and heat helps, it just gets a bit sore after a days activity and also you do get a feeling that someth8ng is ‘there’ and also now and again a baaring down feeling but again I am told that is normal and can go on for a long time after. I hope this helps and I wish you well. I had a temporary colostomy 18 years ago and got a lot of leakage from my back passage so that is why it was decided to remove my rectum this time, no reversal ever but to be honest , life is so much easier with the stoma anyway so taking the rectum was an easy decision and I truly believe the correct one for me. I wish you well and let us know how you get on. 

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:24 am

I had my ileostomy surgery 5 weeks ago and they removed my rectum and closed my anus. I have to say the anus has hurt more than the surgery site at times and for longer amount of time. But it is not unbearable. My surgeon said it is a very sensitive area and you feel it longer. My advice is just sit carefully. I never used a special cushion. But it is sometimes necessary to shift my weight to a side slightly so that the pressure is not focused in that area. I have had minimal leakage but I think everyone is different in that regard. But you can wear a small pantyliner for that as needed. Best of luck to you, and don’t worry about that too much. You won’t need it anymore anyway, lol!

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 am

Hi, I hope by now base girl that you are well on your way to recovery. I had mine done at the same time as my colostomy. I found it more uncomfortable than the surgery itself. Not unbearable but uncomfortable. My hubby got me a great gel filled pillow at Costco. I still use it on international flights and long car trips. For me the itch and burning feeling as the stitches dried out before removal to be the hardest part.Good luck and best wishes to all of you.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.