Availability issue with Sur-Fit Natura Disposable Convex Inserts?

Replies
Views
Karaya

Does anyone know if these have been taken off the market?

I've used them for years but now all the suppliers I've contacted say they are on backorder. I haven't been able to find any for several months (actually, I did find some on Amazon for approximately 4x the price I pay my local supplier). To have relied on a product and suddenly be unable to access it is unnerving and has changed my daily life - I've gone from changing every 5-6 days to changing every day due to leaks.

Thanks for any information.

Bill

Hello Karaya. I'm sure I read on a previous post that one of the manufacturing sites was hit by a hurricane so maybe its just a temporary glitch. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

funnygurl

Hollister has convexity inserts. Have you tried them?

mamatembo

I too had a similar problem with Convatec Natura bags. I've always used Drainable Pouch with Invisiclose Outlet - 413312. The last time I called to order, I too was told they were on backorder as the plant that makes them had been flooded by a hurricane in October. When I googled Convatec, it stated that they had moved the plant from the US to the Caribbean. They sent me a similar drainable pouch - 416418 which I am currently using. However, I find there is much more leakage from the sides at the bottom and it doesn't seem as secure as the 413312.

If anyone has had a problem of leakage from the sides of a bag, would appreciate hearing how you solved it. Despite wearing a panty liner, I am getting a lot of staining of underwear which I don't appreciate. Would taping each side or putting a Band-Aid on each side stop the leakage or would it ruin the bag?

funnygurl

I had huge quality control problems with Convatec after using their products for about 8 years. Switched to Coloplast and am much happier with the quality of products.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Karaya

Thank you to everyone who responded! Bill, it helped to have the information that the manufacturer was affected by the hurricanes (rather than simply discontinuing the product). Funnygurl, your suggestion of the Hollister product is much appreciated-- I will be requesting a sample.

Mamatembo, once my cat created a pinhole in my pouch that I didn't discover until it leaked while I was at work. I wiped over it with a Skinprep pad and that created a temporary seal (it didn't last long, but it got me through the day). I also once placed a tiny piece of Duoderm-like product over a small pouch leak and it worked adequately for a day. One other thought - if it's leaking at the sides on the bottom, could that have to do with the way it's being closed? If not, and if the entire box of pouches arrived with a defect causing them to leak (are they leaking at the seams?), could you request a replacement batch or refund?

Thanks again everyone!

mamatembo

Karaya: Thank you for your reply. The leakage is just fluid on the sides of the closure at the bottom of the bag. The seams of the bags are just fine. This model of bag just has 1 Invisiclose closure where my original bags had 2 Invisiclose closures. I will put it with it until my new order from Allegro arrives this week. Then I will use the current bags only as backups if a future order doesn't arrive on time. Thank you for your reply!

funnygurl

What size is your stoma? I have several boxes of 20 mm Hollister inserts to give away for free.

mamatembo

Funnygurl: My stoma size is now 29 mm. I'm not sure what a Hollister insert is. Is it the bag or the skin barrier wafer? Where I am only 5 months into this, I suspect the inserts you have would be much too small for my stoma at this point in time. But I do thank you for the generous offer.

funnygurl

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hollister+adapt+convexity&client=safari&sa=X&channel=ipad_bm&biw=768&bih=917&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=isnv&srpd=12183571038319899968&prds=num:1,of:1,epd=12183571038319899968,paur:ClkAsKraX5bjTYKh-Sy7iVPzRMfJi1wYvLQJOl-4DEevF65txLtV11ew2lxDLDXtxc2sofVoK9Ztjr_vBg2Vju09SPiGeOa9eR10JcJzVf4nFx619niolWHG9hIZAFPVH731c6ZpBfb2CY6LF21VtmxN6Pm9mA&ved=0ahUKEwjFnc6Aq8LZAhVS0GMKHZehCSoQgjYI3AM.

They stick to the flange.

mamatembo

You are far more advanced in treatment than I. I wouldn't even know what to do with the barrier rings, lol. I am currently using
Natura Two Piece Durahesive Skin Barriers and they seem to work fine for me. I am still learning and hope I'll have many years to continue. Thanks for showing me what your product is.