B12 Level Troubles?

Replies
Views
colinw

Hi, does anyone have trouble with B12 levels?

xnine

Yes, my wife gets shots periodically.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

I've never had them tested, but I do have some funky things going on with some of my blood count numbers. My hemoglobin and hematocrit levels have been elevating since my ileostomy surgery.

My liver enzymes have also been up slightly as well. Those seem to have stabilized since I've gotten a little better control of my blood glucose levels.

Past Member

Hi there, when I had my permanent ileostomy back in 2008, I was told by the hospital to get B12 injections every month. Sometimes there is a shortage of B12 in my province....and my doctor put me on oral vitamin B12 tablets, 1000 mg per day. I didn't think it would work, because supposedly B12 gets absorbed in the colon, and I don't have one....but the B12 vitamins have managed to keep my B12 levels at a good level. I'm a meat eater as well. Best regards, Julie.

Raine061

Yes, my terminal ileum was removed, which is where B12 is absorbed. I take monthly shots.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
BackToCa

I take sublingual B12, which can be obtained at a pharmacy or health food store. A few drops under the tongue and my B12 levels are fine.

Julz44

Since having an ileostomy, the only supplement I've taken is ferrous sulphate. Like you, BackToCa, I don't allow my stoma to prevent me. However, I've been lacking energy lately, so I'm going to give B12 supplements a try.

AquarianGirl

I have taken B12 tablets sublingually in the past but didn't find any difference with my energy levels. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same result and went to B12 shots? If you have, do you know if these are covered under our provincial health care or do we have to pay for them (I'm in Ontario).

Oh and to the original poster, Colinw ... I peeked at your profile and I love your reference to the lyrics of one of my all-time favorite songs, "Music" by John Miles. "Music was my first love and it will be my last; music of the future and music of the past. To live without my music would be impossible to do." I haven't heard the song in a very long time but am now off to YouTube to see if I can't find it there.