Ileostomy Due Soon

Replies
Views
redhead37

Hi everyone,

I'm due to get a loop ileostomy any day now and I'm told that in a year or two I will probably need to have a bigger operation to remove my colon as there is a risk of diversion colitis. I'm not sure if my body could cope with a big operation at this point in my life and I'm wondering what the average length of time people can remain with a loop ileostomy before needing to have the colon removed.

Any comments would be very welcome.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello mate. I'm Jerz. Have more faith in your body's ability to regenerate. It will on its own no matter what your brain says. Survival 101. Fight or flight feeling big time. Keep one thing in mind. Try to look down the road if pooper needs to go years from now. You might just want to make a long road shorter with your next ride with the Sand Man. Just have confidence no matter what you do, you will live and recover. If you get the option, hi mount or low, I recommend hi mount. Confidence is very sexy, don't you think? 62strong.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
redhead37

Hi Jerz,

Thanks for replying to my message. I know you are right about the body's ability to heal. I've been through a lot over the last 30 years, and amazingly, I'm still here! Regarding the ileostomy, I think I will just have to get it done and not worry too much about what the future years might bring.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Keep strong.

S.