Life After Reversal: Adjusting, Staying Positive, and Supporting Each Other

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Irjosh

Hey everyone. I'm post-op since late Jan. Doing good, I think. I posted a bit back that depression was setting in, but I'm doing a lot better now, I think. Life without the bag has been better. I'm just now, lately, been pooping like I guess normal people do. Scared still to be without a restroom nearby always. I'm not sure if anybody has followed my journey, but I've had my reversal once before and I got mega sick 3 months later. I'm one month in this time and all is cool so far. Power of positive thinking, right? It's hard to remember my journey before when I got so sick cause I've been on so many drugs and whatnot. Sigh......... I just wanted to say hi to everyone who's here, healthy, suffering, or otherwise and let you know I'm doing OK and I hope you are too. Guess I just wanted to still be a part of this community even though I'm out of the bag. I do have insight about what it's all about. My prayers are out to all like myself who have to deal with this terrible life-saving situation we're all in. Love

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the update. So very glad you are coming along so well. By the way, you are always welcome to be a part of our internet family!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dadnabbit

Josh, I remember when you first had your surgery, and how frustrated and depressed you were. Then when your first reversal failed, I worried for you that you would have difficulty bouncing back. Right now, I am very happy to say that you seem to be in a great place, and I really hope that this reversal does for you all that you hoped it would. There are many reasons why surgeries don't always work, and I hope your encounter with those is over for good. Thanks for letting us all know how you are doing. Wishing you joy and

peace,

Dadnabbit

Pinkie pooh

Hello,

I was just wondering how long did you have your bag before the reversal? I have had mine for 3 1/2 years and have been told I may be able to have it reversed. It makes me excited to hear this but also scared since it's been so long and scared of the what ifs. I had stage 3 colorectal cancer (2013) and have gone through a lot of aftermath of both radiation and chemo.

Pinkie pooh

Anyone else out there had a colostomy reversal and if so, do you regret it?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
iMacG5

Hi Irjosh.  I think it's really special that you're sharing your stuff with us and i agree with MrsA.  You're always welcome here.  You've gone through more than many of us and some of us are qualified to sympathize.  Positive thinking is wonderful and, like you experienced, sometimes the drugs and other meds make any kind of thinking questionable at best.  Knowing when we're depressed and when we're getting better takes a high degree of quality thinking.  Congratrulations for that.  Please stay in touch and I'll welcome more good news from you down the road.

Respectfully,

Mike

Irjosh

Hey all. Well, I'm gonna try to answer each of those who responded. I'm still doing good. Bathroom nearby a must but still. Um. Depression still knocking on my door. By the way, I had my bag for almost two years. That's one answered question. Thank you Mrs. A and dadnabbit. I remember both your helpful posts. Know that I read and remember. Thank you. iMac. Thank you too. Anyhow, I played 8 of 18 holes of golf with my brother the other day! Felt good to swing a club again. Been wanting to for a bit but my bro wouldn't let me. We chipped and putted for a few weeks prior. Been doing the Planet Fitness thing for two weeks now also. Sore but OK. After reading what I wrote I guess I'm doing great. Everyday is a new day. That's how I do it today. I really hope the best for everyone here. Really. I'm so grateful. Thank you