Stopping Irrigation Gives Constipation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ashish 1985s

Hi,

Myself Ashish.

I had an end colostomy and have been successfully doing stomach irrigation for a year. Now, I have been diagnosed with spine metastases, so I have started chemotherapy. However, my oncologist advised me to stop doing irrigation.

Now, I feel constipated and my stool does not come out without a laxative. Even after taking a laxative, I still feel heavy throughout the day.

Please suggest some remedies to relax my gut muscles.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Jerz, hi. I lay down on my back, focus on a nice place. Relax. Turn on your body wand high-frequency vibrator to your abs and stomach. 15 or so minutes usually does it for me. Doc said guts try to ball up. You just need to relax and just try to put things behind for good. Hope you live, Jerz.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

I agree that you have to get your stomach to relax, a warm bath is soothing as well as the massage that Jerz suggested. A hot cup of tea and a warm water bottle against your tummy can also help. Movement is important, bend and stretch your body gently. Do you know of any veggies that help make things move rather than a laxative pill? Prunes work for some, perhaps some raisins?

Hope you get relief soon.