Abdominoperineal resection

In this discussion
Replies
Views
UCsurvivor

I am scheduled for APR surgery in two days. Am very concerned about how to handle the changes this will create in my life. I have had an ileostomy for 4 years now. I am wondering if anyone may have experience, wisdom, advice to share? I am especially concerned with the effects to my sexuality. This has been an incredibly emotional journey. I'm sure SOMEONE must understand...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Victor61

I wish I could say something

sadly I'm a newby here, hoping to have surgery for my UC ASAP

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
NJ Bain

UCsurvivor,

I was just reading up on APR surgery. I'm guessing that you are going to end up with a barbie butt?Will you be keeping the ileostomy?I'm only asking because from what I've read, the entire adjacent normal rectum, rectal sphincter or anus, and surrounding lymph nodes are removed and normally a person would have a colostomy constructed but since you already have an ileostomy, that would be kind of pointless.

As far as the effects to your sexuality, unless you're into as play, I don't foresee an issue...lolIf you have a healthy sex life now, there won't be much difference. Of course there will be the recovery time after the surgery, but it will probably be less recovery time than when you had the ileostomy surgery performed.

Don't allow your ileostomy or barbie butt define you. Own it. The key is confidence. We've all gone through such traumatic procedures and surgeries, yet we are resilient and are better people for it. It makes us stronger, more humble and helps us appreciate life just a little bit more than your average person.

There are several members on here that have gone through this surgery. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Bain

UCsurvivor

Thanks for responding! My surgery is in the morning. I am still pretty nervous but feel like I am ready.

I am currently single..so no active sex life for some time now. Probably part of my worry,

As for the ileostomy, it will be permanent. I have undergone a total colectomy already. This surgery re moves all that is left.

I appreciate your insight and encouragement. I'll be posting during my recovery to let everyone know the outcome. Have a blessed night

April

NJ Bain

April,

You're in our prayers. Let us know when you wake up!

Bain

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mrs.A

Hey April,

I had all my work done when I got my colostomy....hope your doing well. Recovery time is different for everyone but we'll be here thinking of you till you return!

Past Member

You have my sympathy! ;I went through the same thing about 9 months ago. Still trying to figure out how to deal with it. I guess it depends on the person. If I figure it all out, I'll let you know. But for now, take heart. I was terrified of it, but it did pass. The surgery heals completely in a few months. Then its the emotional thing that we go through. Just take it one step at a time. You'll get there. Again, you have my total sympathy. Wish I could be of more help.

Linda

VeritasSeeker

Curious to hear how you're doing. I may also have to get an APR this summer. Had my ileostomy now for almost 5 years but still have some rectal tissue and the accompanying last bits. Had a nice flare from that little bit of rectal tissue several weeks ago and I think it's time. Hope you're well.

JB