Newbie finds alternative method for stoma shape!

Replies
Views
Ninny

I'm a newbie with a colostomy due to diverticulitis. I've found templates provided inadequate for my use due to the oval shape of my stoma. I found using a wire tie (usually used around electrical cords to keep them contained) to mold around the stoma, then trace onto the wafer, has worked for me.

Ninny

Xerxes

Rather ingenious!

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,428 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ninny

Thanks!

Penguins7

That is a great idea to use a wire to measure stoma. I have always wondered why the medical community did not have a measuring device to give an accurate template of the stoma dimensions; while allowing enough space so the wafer is not too tight around the stoma.

My stoma is oval also, so I have to cut the wafers with medical scissors and it is a pain. I'm currently looking into some type of cutting device that would duplicate my template each time. Stay well! Penguins7

Ninny

Thanks Penguins 7! My husband and I just moved from Traverse City, MI to Arvada, CO in November of 2017. Kind of scary to have such a major medical occurrence so soon after our move, but I was lucky to find a surgeon with such a good reputation here during my initial hospitalization for IV antibiotics. Medical insurance works differently here than in MI, but so far has worked well.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kbd

I imagine most stomas are not perfectly round. I never measure since I know roughly the size. I 'guestimate' every time I cut and depend upon my barrier ring to make up the difference. Barrier rings are a godsend.

mamatembo

At 78 years old and, like you, I found it difficult cutting the skin barrier/wafer with scissors. I gave my son the template of size I needed and he quickly cut the correct stoma sizes out in a box full of wafers with a pen-sized X-acto knife very easily. They are sharp though, so you need to keep them away from children. Also, some ostomy companies have pre-cut wafers you can purchase.

Mrs.A

I use cuticle scissors as they have a slight curve to them, making it easier to maneuver them in the circular shape.