Bag Interference During Intimate Moments: Any Solutions?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses solutions for managing bag interference during intimate moments for individuals with ostomies.
Ewesful

Try the Osteo Wrap -- they are wonderful and also the newest Mio one - it tucks up into itself. Also, wide tape works beautifully.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gear Jammer

I fold the bag in half, then wrap a Tensor bandage around my torso... It's close to flesh colored (for me) and keeps everything secured, no matter what kind of acrobatics we get into...)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
willard

Hi there, I have had a real problem with fistulas in my day, which led to many 15 or 16 operations. And two of them because my stomach blew apart because of too many operations. And the first operation, I sneezed and ripped open the stitch especially. And they had to leave it the way it was. So my stomach is a deformed mess of scars with two ostomies on it. So what I do is wear an ostomy belt, clock the pouch over to the side a bit. Then put the clip on the pouch under the belt. And if you still need to keep it there, tie it with an elastic band around the clip to the belt. Let me know how it works for you. Bill

Laurel

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and just catching up on the posts.

Tarababy, you are sooo right!

In my experience, I have dated for years with a colostomy bag and believe me, if things start heating up, telling the new guy at the last minute helps rather than telling him too early and expecting him to run a mile.

If a guy shows any hesitancy, it's probably because he doesn't know what is okay and what is uncomfortable for you. In all my dates, I never had a bad experience. I think that is because taking the time to pick the right type of guy helps enormously.

I've even been to a sex party! - Dress the right way and you can get away with anything. Get out and enjoy life!

gerardf1000

I use Coloplast Sensura pouches. They have a small Velcro strip halfway up the bag. Works really well!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
KAHLO

If you hang it vertically, won't it fall as it fills and crease and just hang there on your abdomen? I am curious too. The sound the bag makes makes me feel like a grown-up wearing a diaper, which is really distracting from making me feel anything close to sexual or sexy. My b.f. doesn't care, but I really am affected by the bag.

KAHLO

That is really nice that guys are understanding and don't mind. It is still all new to me, only 9 weeks post-op, and I find my confidence in my sexuality has taken a massive blow. My boyfriend doesn't mind it at all. He sees it as what saved my life and is grateful for it.

KAHLO

Tarababy - I am new with just 2 months in with ileostomy surgery. I am crazy, stupid in love with my boyfriend. I was really scared to have sex after surgery because before I had it, sex was way too painful to keep doing. I have lost a lot of confidence in my sexuality since the surgery, even though my boyfriend desires me just as much. He's just happy that I didn't die and am going to be feeling better.

I tried sex after getting advice here on Ostomates. It was fine and actually no pain, which is a first in over 25 years. But... I'd like to try what you said about the shower cap/bowl/cover. I don't quite understand how you applied it and it held, etc. Can you slow your directions down for me and spell them out a little clearer? I'd be so grateful for some tips for the bedroom.

Kahlo

TKinCincinnati

Yeah, the bit about taping it up and under the T-shirt like everybody has mentioned is about the only way I'm aware of to get that damn pouch out of the way. You're lucky if you have an intimate partner who doesn't mind. Many civilians (non-ostomates) are turned off when I mention that I have an ileostomy. Most medical professionals aren't, but everybody else doesn't understand it and just can't deal with it. That's been my experience. So if you're lucky enough to have a partner who doesn't mind, hearty congratulations!!

Fred383

Hi, Fred383 here. Simple solution. Wear a back brace. Not an industrial type but as low key as you can find. Mine is just like a wrap with Velcro. I also take an anti-diarrhea set of pills a couple of hours before an anticipated encounter. Thus, no full bag during intimacy.

waynelewis86

In Australia, we are issued two support belts a year. They are not belts per se, but they are actually quite comfortable to wear. I would put mine on when being intimate, as my J-pouch failed. They damaged my man parts, so I just dream about the good old days. (drkknight)

pkm
Reply to dcrazy

I wear a Stealth Belt 24 hours a day. It keeps the bag flat against your body so it doesn't flop around, and it really helps to avoid leaks. Just look up Stealth Belt on Google. They're pricey though. Since I have an ileostomy with watery output, I use a vertical Stealth Belt.

pkm
Reply to kenkd

Stealth Belt makes many decorative belts

Killarney

Where do you buy one of these bags?

Killarney
Reply to tonybandit

What disguise did you use the first time, I'm not being nosy we are all in the same boat now.

pueanthony4

If you wear a belt with your Urostomy or Colostomy, tuck the bag underneath the belt to your left or right, depending on what side your bag is on, make sure you use the bathroom before any action take place.

Lins0808
Reply to Anonymous

I'm the same. I've had an ileostomy for 43 years (I'm 54) and have never used anything extra. It's never been an issue for me or my past partners. My husband says it's a non issue and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Happy holidays!

JPT

an ostomy wrap (the spandex ones, not the stealth belt) is a game changer.

toddB

These are Coloplast Sensura Mio products.  They have two different velcro attachment locations.  Extended or Folded up.  The smallest is a "mini" and is what I prefer.

warrior
Reply to toddB

Hey Todd tell me about the last one on the right that's for the Mio flip because I was told they don't make those for the flip ..

you got a part number there? thanks

toddB
Reply to warrior

Sure thing!  Here is a screenshot from my edgepark account.

warrior
Reply to toddB

Thank you Todd I need to check something out because what I have here is an ostomy pouch and the part number on that was 2802 I'm looking out the thing right now and looks like a really tiny tiny small pancake but yours really is a pouch I believe ...It's not a stoma cap correct ??

cuz that's what I thought it was looking at it. i wanted a stoma cap.

toddB
Reply to warrior

Correct, these are pouches.  Here is the other side.

warrior

ok. thanks, Todd.

The funny thing about those stoma caps is that try as I might to imagine emptying one if that thing gets full during the intimate moment?? you can't..

you obviously have to excuse yourself for a few more than minutes because you got to clean that up and with no drain ?? !!  so the whole thing comes off and you got to pop on another one..

talk about a kill joy moment😔

toddB
Reply to warrior

I have never had that problem personally, but I can definitely see and appreciate what you are saying.  The one on the left that folds up does have expansion volume (by unfolding it) and a drain, if needed.