Hot Tub with Ostomy: Any Tips?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Pharmgirl

Has anyone used a hot tub with their ostomy? I really miss using a hot tub but am concerned about the appliance coming off!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sosweet

I use my hot tub all the time. I have had my ileostomy for 29 years, luckily my appliance has never come off. I put extra medical tape around the flange with every change for added security. I'm a very active person and have had very few leaks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pharmgirl

Thank you, Sosweet. I appreciate you letting me know! My husband and I are going to Canada to see Niagara Falls in May, and there is a hot tub in the room we are staying in.

maddie50322

I take extremely hot baths and very hot showers over 100 degrees, and I always leave a bag on. I use the Coloplast barrier strips around my wafer edges, and it holds up very well. I change my bag right after I bathe or shower, though. I change my bag every Monday and Thursday.

Pharmgirl

Thank you Maddie 50322 for this information, I'm feeling confident enough to get in the hot tub on my upcoming vacation!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mike45

No, I haven't, but I wish I could after long days of work lifting boxes! I worry about taking showers sometimes but found a way around that! How are you doing today?

LadyHope

Thanks for your post. It is a very good question and one that is asked from time to time. The wafer is designed to stick to your skin even after a hot shower, bath, swimming or hot tub use. That being said, I would still be cautious regarding the integrity of the wafer after being in the water. You can purchase from your supplier these half moon 1/2 inch adhesives that will picture frame your wafer to help with wear time. I can't remember what they are called but Coloplast will provide a few samples to try. Give them a call and ask for them. Also, if you feel the wafer is loose, change it. It is better to be safe than sorry. Take care and good luck!

Pharmgirl

Thanks Ladyhope, this is good advice, I think I have some of those wafers for those uh oh days...

bigal1579

I have never had any problem. For extra security, you could get a swim wrap. Check ostomysecrets.com.

BackToCa

I have spent a lot of time in hot tubs and never had an issue. I find it reduces wear time if I spend a lot of time in the water but no major failures. Have fun.

TomFTW

Let's all meet up someplace with a big hot tub and try it out! Lol! Sounds like a great party!

rongarm

Hi Maddie, Rongarm here. I have been in a few hot tubs, taken very warm showers, and the only problem I had was with the hot tub. The chemicals in the tub caused my skin wafer to be in not so good shape. I think the chemicals created a problem. Also, when I take showers, I usually take my bag off and let the water, not real hot, clean out my stoma area. I also fill up the bag and let it drain out. This has helped keep down any odors that might happen and just mainly keeps it a little cleaner. I asked my urologist if this is okay to do and he said it should not cause any problems. Of course, I re-attach the bag while still in the shower.

Take care and be safe.

Rongarm

Lincoln

Yes, we bought a new hot tub last November. I have had a stoma since 17 April 2017. I have had a couple of issues with the bag becoming unstuck, so a quick exit was needed before complete disaster. The water tends to start to loosen the adhesive at the edges and the bubbles fill the pocket of material around the bag. I use a sensor mio one-piece thing. If I want to go in the tub now, I change to a new bag. I use two Brava elastic tapes, one above and one below. This extends the flange. I then use a support belt. This has a ring that fits snugly around the flange of the bag and presses it into place. The belt then holds everything secure, and I can stay in the tub for as long as I want without any fear that the bag will come off and everything that goes with that. I would be reluctant to go in the tub with just a bag, as I know they will potentially come off. After saying that, I have been in after wearing the bag, two tapes, and the belt for an hour or so before then taking the belt off, and it has been without incident. It all sticks down pretty well after the belt has been on.

Immarsh

Hi Pharmgirl,

I have had my ileostomy for more than 50 years, and hot showers are never an issue.... nor is a swimming pool or swimming in the ocean. Although I've been in hot tubs many times, I take a little more precautions.....and the same with hot baths, which I gave up in favor of showers. Sitting in hot water for an extended period of time can start to soften or loosen the wafer (Convatec) like others, I use tape around the edges, and I've never lost a wafer/pouch in the water. But I do check later at night or in the morning to make sure all is secure. I was very young when I had my surgery (15) and taking a hot shower seemed easier than worrying about the wafer (back then a plastic disc with glue) coming off. Even when supplies changed and improved, I still opt for the shower.....unless I have the opportunity to go in a soaking/tub with jet sprays. Best of luck to you. Enjoy the hot tub.....just be aware and prepared.... the bathroom is nearby. No worries.. Marsha

Pooter

I have had my ileostomy for 46 years. I have been in hot tubs before. I would put barrier strips around the wafer and then put Hy-Tape (pink tape) around the barrier strips.