Waterproofing My Glue Wafer

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lampelady
Hi friends,
Does anyone have a better answer for waterproofing your glue patch and the tape collar around the patch that sticks it to your tummy? I have a urostomy and I use a two-piece system. When I want to swim, snorkel, or sit in the hot tub, I use something called High Tape, which is an orange waterproof tape. I either change everything when I am finished, or if it's late at night, wait until first thing in the morning. So far, my appliance hasn't fallen off, but when I remove it, there is always moisture inside and under the glue patch and collar. I am also somewhat allergic to the tape, and it pulls off some of my skin when I remove it. I can live with this if it's the only way I can continue to enjoy the sun and the surf, but if you have a better system, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks for your advice.
Lin
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse
Lamplady

If using a wafer with a tape backing, some folks will apply skin prep on top of the tape portion, allow it to dry, then apply a second coat. Some say this works well for showers and gets them an extra day or so from the tape edge lifting.

Another thought, don't know which brand you use but all 3 major companies in the US (Coloplast, Hollister, and Convatec) make wafer barriers that come without the tape and are pure pectin-based. For Convatec, that would be the pure Durahesive wafer (they have some with and without tape), Hollister New Image line has them listed as "without tape", and most of Coloplast do not have tape. They are pretty water-resistant and may be worth a try. You can Google the companies for their 1-800 number and request samples. They usually have an RN support person that would help you choose what will suit your needs.

Great to hear you are so active!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lampelady

Thanks for your advice. That's a great idea and I never would have thought of it.

junopete

Lady,
I hate to tell you this. Try as I might, I never could find a truly water-resistant setup. The manufacturers say they are waterproof, however, I have found that once soaked, the wear time went to about zero. I never did have one fall off. But when I removed them, they almost just fell off.

Just keep trying new things, it's all a person can do. There is a clear medical tape that is pretty good. If that was used with the DuraSeal wafer, that does not have the outer cloth tape, it may work. Using the tape around the outside of the wafer to seal it from the water.

I don't know the name of the tape. However, it was used on me after the surgeries to keep the incision dry while I showered. It stayed put for several showers. The tape was transparent and very thin, once applied it was almost like a second skin.

The nurse that monitors the site probably knows what I am referring to.

Rick.....

Gus

We have what's called Tegaderm here in Australia. Clear plastic and sticks like shit to a blanket. Easy to remove by stretching them to release the glue. Great things to have.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lottagelady

Yeah, I use Tegaderm to keep my HRT and other meds patches on - no problems when bathing, good stuff! x
lampelady

Can you tell me more about Tegaderm, so I can describe it in case we have something with a different name in the US. Does it come in a roll like tape? Do you apply it over the top of the tape collar which is around the outside of the glue wafer? I find if I'm going to be in the water long, I need to cover the tape, not just make a picture frame around the edges of it. If it comes off easily, that's great. My skin can be really sensitive and if I'm on vacation, I need to be able to change the bag every day I decide to go in the water. I have more bathing suits now than I did before I started wearing the bag. My boyfriend likes to take snorkeling trips and if I'm not bold enough to continue to live my life to the fullest, he will go without me.
Thanks for your advice.
Lin

lottagelady

Hi, it is more of a wound dressing than a tape type thing, or for keeping cannulas in for IVs. Comes in squares/rectangular shapes, not sure what the largest is.

Found some on eBay! There's some in the US/Canada. Made by 3M.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-Tegaderm-Transparent-Film-Dressing-Picture_W0QQitemZ370307399977QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56380a8129