Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

Newbie has been "initiated"

Posted by beatrice, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 am
Hi all -- now I feel initiated -- had my first mess/leakage!

Can't truly call it leakage ... more "operator error". Here's what happened.

Woke up about 4:30 am. Didn't have to pee, so just layed there and touched my bag to see how full it was. I could feel alot of gas. So .... not turning on the side lamp, still in the dark under the covers, I do the burp the bag thing.

Ok -- it didn't register that there may be stools right there over the stoma because I've been laying like that for awhile and maybe the stool hasn't had a chance to get into the bag part (my stools are fairly thick).

Along with the gas came some stool. Felt wet. My soiled hand comes away from the bag and touches the sheets. Getting out of bed, I get other parts of the sheets dirty.

Change my appliance and go back and wipe off the sheets (actually not as much on them as on me). Will do till a sheet change tomorrow. Would have done it right away, but dear Hubby sleeps like the dead.

I know this leakage story is pretty tame but it just made me shake my head at myself ... not looking forward to my first leakage when I'm out of the house!

Anyone else want to share their 'first leakage' story?
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm
I wish I could say congratulations but that would be just plain mean. But I'll bet it won't happen again, at least until you forget and then you are truly initiated. After six years I now feel confident, but not until I had a few messes to clean up. Stay positive, and healthy. Ed

PS: Love that dog, only wish I were able to look after one the way they deserve.

Last edited by gutenberg on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by lottagelady, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 pm
Oh Beatrice - isn't it just a joy? You surely are now one of the gang...
Not my first, but I think my most awful one was whilst at a staff conference (Kempton Park Racecourse, quite posh) when I was still working. Just had main course at lunch and had stood up to go and queue for the lovely looking desserts they had when I 'sniffed' something .... looked down and spreading across my pale pink top was ... well you can guess! Problem is, I have found that when I start leaking, there is no alternative but to just go home and deal with it; if I start peeling layers off, (and I always wear trousers) it just seems to get worse and I get more covered.... so it was a case of get coat, hold it in front of me, make my apologies to my boss and get in the car. Only thing was, Kempton Park was an hour and a half away from home, so off down the M3 I went at great speed (thinking of what I could say if I got stopped by the Police)! By the time I got part way home, ugh was just everywhere, including running down the side of me on my car seat, so I stopped and rummaged about the car and ended up sitting on a carrier bag to try contain some of it! Made it home in record time and dealt with it.... It has fallen off in restaurants, whilst shopping, dog walking, and many times during the night - I always sleep on a towel now to minimise things in case it does. I've thrown out 3 duvets and had to have some major dry cleaning of my very large and heavy bedspread ........

Quite often I can feel if I am about to leak as I can feel it 'creeping' through the flange and it sort of itches, but nowadays it seems to be the seal between the ring and the bag itself which gives way first. Ho hum....
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm
Beatrice: Forgive me for butting in (pun Intended).

Rachel: I just gotta know, have you ever gotten an answer to that problem with the ring seal coming apart. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a flaw in production. ED
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm
My worst leakiage was when iw as driving interstate . I had gone to bed in the sleeper of the truck and stupidly had been eating sugar free lollies all day. Those nasty little bastards give you gas and the squirts real quick. Anyway I had slept for about 6 hours and woke witj what I call a zeppo. Zeppelin shaped bag solid with gas and liquid and as i ent to get up  it pop open. Shiit and shra[nel went every where and i was covered in it. So I got out of the truck with my wipes and 2 water bottles and stripped my clothes off. I was washing myself down when a highway patrol car pulled into the parking bay. He saw me pulled up behind me and asked me why the f*** I was naked . I showed him my bag and the nice copper got paper towel out of his car and threw them to me. let me clean myself up and fget dressed and was very polite. So yes it will happen and in all honesty don't let it woirry you those baby wipes can do a great job of cleaning you up
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm
Hey Beatrice, if we both have blowouts at the same time maybe we can cover Canada from the East Coast to west and everything meets in Ottawa, nobody would notice, ya think?
Ed
Reply by lottagelady, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:08 pm

gutenberg wrote:
Beatrice: Forgive me for butting in (pun Intended).

Rachel: I just gotta know, have you ever gotten an answer to that problem with the ring seal coming apart. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a flaw in production. ED

Hi Ed, no haven't heard anything - keep meaning to email them but forget......! Thanks for asking. xxx

Gus, that is one hell of a story, will take a bit of beating that one! xxx
Reply by beatrice, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:20 pm
Hey Ed!

It is a big country ... but I think we could do it!
Reply by beatrice, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:27 pm
Rachel -- my leakage/mess was a small blip compared to your story!

You sure are dealing with your 'stuff' well. I'm doing ok since my ileostomy ... but that's largely because things have been going along without mishap.

And I think I'm on a bit of a high right now ... the realization that I can handle this and that my life can be fun and pretty darned normal even with a poop bag at the front of my body.

I'm sure the sh*t will hit the fan in many ways for me in the years to come ... hope I handle it as well as you all.

Gus - you do crack me up.

Ed - She's a Blue Chow Chow. My 'kid'.
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 pm
Just remember beatrice,, give it a name and its always ya front bum, cos the back one is broke
Reply by LovingLife2, on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:25 am

Gus wrote:
Just remember beatrice,, give it a name and its always ya front bum, cos the back one is broke

Oh Gus thats funny, roflmbo   thats roflmfrountbo   

Hi bea, I have an
ileostomy also 2 yrs now, my first experience with leakage was when I had the car reparied and I was waiting for it. I had felt the bag and noticed it was getting sort of full, in doing so, I also felt a lil wet, running to the BR I check it. Oh Shit !! the wafer was popping off also. Ahhh, I had to laugh, it was a public BR so I had no privacy to change, I cleaned up the bag and around the wafer, and grabbed as many paper towels as I could and put them over the bag and around the wafer, and was greatful for once that the contents was a lil thick, then put my coat on to hide things, ran to manger saying I got an medical problem and when will u be done, I had to wait another half hr, but luckly things didn't get worse, I was so glad when they were done, and I could get out of there, I never drove so quickly to get home, need less to say, I lucked out, the paper towels worked but still had a lil mess to clean up after. ahhh won't forget that one ...
Reply by beatrice, on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:19 pm
Gus: where did you get that great avatar (I'm not a techie ... but would love to download it)

LovingLife2: That is the sort of mishap that will REALLY initiate me! Anything that happens at home just isn't in the same category .
Reply by eddie, on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm
The worst problem I got into was at work I'm a nurse I went to the bathroom that is in a hallway that is less traveled to "dump" I was very busy so it was really full when i opened the clamp it went every where all over my panties and scrub pants.  There was noway to get my scrubs cleaned up.  I had to wait half naked peeking out the door hoping to see someone anyone.  Mean while my beeper  keeps going off finially I saw a houskeeper that had no idea what I was talking about but she brought me a clean pair of scrubs from surgery.  I have alot oif accidents but that was the worse.  And yes I did exactly what you did once!!!!
eddie
Reply by junopete, on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 pm
Ed

You were mentioning some defective "ring seals".

A time ago I had several dozen Convatec bags. The extended ones for large capacity, with the tubular drain.  By the way I  went to the large capacity not because of the stool, but because of gas at night.  Some nights I was fine.  Other nights I was awoken, thank my lucky stars, with a football attached to me stomach.  Why that thing didn't burst is beyond me.  It never did.  I will tell you, getting to the bathroom a person would have thought I had a hand full of gold dust and I was not about to let any slip away!
Right where the bag was bunched up and connected to the tube I was getting leakage.  It wasn't like a blow out or anything just a wetness.  It took me several bag changes to actually see where the leakage was.

Rick.....
Reply by tiger227, on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:50 am
HI my my Dear Friends

My worse leakage was when I was playing bridge at my local bridge club.
when you play bridge it can last 3 to 3half hrs, and if you are not able to finish the game then it leaves yr partner without anyone to finish the game.
Anyway I am playing at the table and suddenly smelt this horrible smell, I thought some-one had let one go, little did I know it was me.
I made my excuses to leave the table and go to the bathroom, when I went to change my bag it it exloded everywhere, all over the toilet on the floor over my clothes, i was in a terrible mess, the only thing I had to wipe the mess up was the toilet roll, which of coarse was wafer thin.
I was so long in the toilet one of the players came to see if I was ok, the smell hit her for six and she had to wait outside, I managed to clean up the mess give the toilet a spray with the spray I keep in my bag, and made a quick exit, I had used my last bag that I had in my bag, so had to cover my stoma up with toilet tissue until I got home.
It haven't stopped me playing bridge, but I am always on tender hooks incase it happens there again.
I have had a few while I have been out but manage to get to the nearest toilet and sort it out, but never one as embarrasing as at the bridge club.

Love and Hugs to you all
Jean
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.