Seeking advice: Law enforcement with an ostomy?

Replies
Views
VulcanRider

I'm new to all of this and I'm trying to find another police officer with an ostomy. I had diverticulitis with a perforation in my colon and had to have emergency surgery. Woke up in a daze and have a bag on my belly! Now I'm on sick leave waiting to be cleared to go back to work with. I'm curious to see if I can still be a police officer with a bag. Luckily mine can be reversed, but will be 4 to 6 months. Don't know if I can afford to be out that long or if I'll end up on disability until after the reversal. Anyone have/had experience like this or know someone? Thanks!

Past Member

Hey, you lucky stiff. You get to get your brown eye back. The only things I can think of is getting a hernia from the equipment weight. Vests need to be tight. Just how much hot pocket you can eat under the gear. Moving around a lot means more changes, running on light eating, and timing of changes. Hope you do well with your job and staying vertical. I'm a volunteer now so I can set my own time. I'm retired, it would be distracting to me trying to keep my scalp. I stay dry mostly all day once I get moving I'm good. Just don't feed me. Xcontractor, I think it is possible to do. I've been viewed by some mates on the site. Looked like cop handles. Live long and prosper, young man. Jerz.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

VulcanRider

Thanks, I hope that I'll still be able to work, I really don't see too many issues. I would be able to keep a check on my bag during my shift and the only thing I could see happening is my bag would leak if I get too hot under the vest. The weight of all my gear is probably in the range of 20 lbs., but I've never weighed it. I have seen a cover for the ostomy that has a belt and stated that it would help with the hernia situation. Do you know when a hernia would no longer be an issue? Is it always going to be an issue as long as I have the bag? Thanks for the reply!

Past Member

I go several days with no pouch. Just a few layers of disposable wipes held down on stoma, then a wrap or I use a Copper Fit support belt to go with. It works pretty good. It's just a temporary thing, off and on. If you don't have a lot of crap, my one good meal with plenty of granola and juice. Vests have to fit tight to work. If you have a big hot pocket, it could be a problem. Carry on, trouper.

dadnabbit

Vulcan rider, if your surgery was an open abdominal surgery as opposed to a laparoscopic surgery, hernias will always be a possibility. When the abdominal wall muscle is cut, there will always be the possibility of things (i.e. intestine, stomach, etc.) pushing through the previously cut wall. It's one of the things not well discussed before surgery. However, there are many different items such as hernia belts that can help to protect against new hernias, and being careful to not lift items of too much weight and not to strain the abdominal wall will help to prevent recurrent hernias. Unfortunately, the statistics point to an extremely large number of recurrent hernias once one has already occurred, but I believe that a large number of those are due to our "forgetting" limitations and overstressing the once-cut muscles. So be mindful, use the right product to help protect you, and go out and "protect and serve" your community.

Peace

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
VulcanRider

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm finally getting some answers. Yes, I had abdominal surgery and got the scar, which was stapled, around my belly button area. I go to the doctor on the 18th of April and believe the doctor who did the surgery is going to say okay to go back to work. I was told by my Chief of Police that I need to get cleared from the doctor who handles workers' compensation, although I didn't have to go through workers' compensation. I guess I'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility of being told I can't be a police officer anymore. That will be devastating! I've been doing it for the last 17 years. I work the road, so getting into scuffles is always a possibility. I do my best not to, though! Thanks again for the reply. I'll see what the doctors say and take it from there.

dadnabbit

Vulcan Rider,

The workers' comp doctor is an insurance protective measure for the police department, not necessarily a deterrent. There is a good possibility that you will be able to resume your duties, as long as you are aware and take the necessary protective measures for your own physical well-being. Some of your activities may be a little different for a while, but you can rebuild your muscle strength, and if you protect yourself you can still do just about anything you have done before (unless you are an MMA fighter or boxer or..... LOL). The reversal and hernia repair may even be able to be done laparoscopically, preventing any further muscle damage. It depends on your general physical condition and health. Once the stoma is reconnected and your hernia is treated, you could well resume your regular routine. My husband had a double hernia (not from ostomy), one on each side of his abdomen, and after having them treated he resumed his normal duties at work (butcher) but is more selective and careful about lifting without additional help if the item is large. FMLA may afford you a little more time to recuperate from the surgeries, and after a reversal, I believe there are different things you can do to help strengthen your abdominal wall once again. Just be aware, and don't rush yourself and your healing. Think positive and hang in there.

Peace

VulcanRider

Thanks for the reply. I may have confused you, sorry, I don't have a hernia at this point, and don't want one! Lol. I am able to have the reversal, I'm hoping in June or July, at least that's what the doctor initially said. (4 to 6 months after surgery, surgery was March 2nd.) I am stressing out waiting for the decision to see what both doctors have to say! Can't wait for the 18th to get here! Right now I feel like I'm in better shape than before I went for surgery. I am walking 2 miles every other day and eating a little better. I was pretty much sedentary for the last couple of years, other than yard work and normal activities. I've been a smoker since about the age of 15, so that didn't help. I've been diagnosed with COPD now since this happened. Using inhalers and I'm not out of breath when walking, so that's a good thing. I have cut back on the cigarettes, had quit since surgery, but started back after some stressful days. I know I need to quit, don't know if that will ever happen, but not smoking nearly as much. Guess my concern is the waiting to see what the doc says about going back to work. VERY worried about not being able to be in Law Enforcement, that's pretty much all I've done, that and security police officer, my whole life. Don't know what else I would be able to do. Guess I just have to wait and see. Thanks for the support and I'll post the results later.

freedancer

This has made me very curious. How do police, fire, and other rescue personnel deal with this? How about our military persons who end up with an ostomy? Are they allowed to keep their jobs? Do they have to take a less hazardous position? Is there special equipment they wear to protect their ostomies? I especially wonder about police officers as they often engage in foot pursuits that end with them struggling with the suspect on the ground. Can any folks shed some light on this?

freedancer

Maybe you could be a detective or do some teaching at the Academy. Or perhaps you can do training on the shooting range. I hope you can continue to do what you love. What about being a resource officer at a school? Please let us know what happens, OK?

freedancer

Maybe maybe you could be a detective or do some teaching at the Academy. Or perhaps you can do training on the shooting range. I hope you can continue to do what you love. What about being a resource officer at a school? Please let us know what happens OK?

TwinRig

I am a police officer and have had a colostomy since 2003. I went through the Federal Law Enforcement Training Academy in 2010, and the Army Civilian Police Academy in 2016. No one knew I was an ostomate. When I have to empty/change a bag while on duty, I just pull it out from being tucked in. My body armor is just the right length that it doesn't cover the skin barrier. After I empty/change the bag, I back myself into a wall so I can undo the front of my belt and trousers, and tuck everything back in without my heavy-duty belt falling to the floor. I call this a tactical reload. I can do this multiple times during a shift and have never had an issue.

VulcanRider

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear from another officer and that you are doing good with yours. I did get released with no restrictions from my doctor on the 18th of April and I'm still waiting to hear from the Chief. He's waiting on a call from the workman's comp doctor to see what they say. He doesn't think it will be a problem, may have to sign a "disclosure" form or something stating I won't sue if anything happens with the bag. I told him worst case would be if the bag leaks or breaks and the crap gets on me, won't affect anyone else. I do work "the road" and am on the "front lines", so to speak. There's always the possibility of having to fight, and you know that, and there's always the possibility that the world will end too! Lol. Seriously though, I do work in a smaller town so the possibilities are smaller, but always there. Good luck to you and thanks again for the reply, be safe!

VulcanRider

Thank you for the reply, I'm glad to hear from you. I have been on the force for about 17 years and I've been waiting for a detective position to open for a while now. I went to the dept I'm at now with the "promise" of an Investigator position, needless to say, I'm still waiting after 3 and 1/2 years. Those positions are hard to come by in a smaller town, where I work, and a lot of the "good ole boy" syndrome still is in full swing. I just have to wait for someone to "die or retire" before a position becomes available. They usually have a "board" you have to meet with after you apply. Of course, they put in whoever they want and just tell you that they did better on the board and you can't argue because you can't discuss it after it's over, so basically they already know who they want before you even go in there. It's kinda a "political thing" depending on who you work for (Sheriff is an elected position versus a Police Chief, who is appointed by the Town or City Council. A lot depends, unfortunately, on who the Chief or Sheriff likes and who kisses their behind. I don't and maybe that's why I haven't got the position in the past. I'd rather get the job based on my performance and not how many times I got out to eat with the boss. Where I'm at is not as bad and I work for a good Chief. He says that the "money is not in the budget", which I understand. Just hard to keep waiting. I'm doing ok and the worst thing may be having to wait for my reversal to go back. They do make a "cover" that helps to protect the stoma, (Stoma Plex, but I'm not endorsing) and I plan on getting one before I go back. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks again!

VulcanRider

Just in case someone may be interested, I did start back to work on May 1st!! So happy!! Took a little bit of doing, Chief faxed a list of my duties to my surgeon and asked which function I couldn't do. Surgeon replied no restrictions! Ordered one of the protector guards and had to wait for that to come in. I'm not gonna mention company name, but waste of money for me. Caused the waste to clump at the stoma. Not good. It started going under the wafer. Luckily, didn't leak, but wouldn't have been long. Made it through. I made some fixes to the 180.00 piece of crap and same result. Apparently my stool was too thick and wouldn't drop down into the bag. Choosing not to wear it now, and a lot less problems. If you do a lot of sitting, as I do, don't waste your money. Anyway, thanks to all that replied. Have a great day!!

Past Member

Eat little and drink more high protein. Get your diet down. Your output seems to be the problem, and you might need to add a control ring under your pouch to help keep your pouch on. X Service Tech Jerz from Baltimore, have a great day, mate.

Past Member

I received a permanent colostomy on Feb 1, 2019 due to rectal cancer. I am on patrol full time again.

Puppyluv56

Thank you for your service. It is a tough job without an ostomy. Hope you are adjusting well!

Puppyluv

RoBoMala

I'm in this boat now... Emergency surgery was Feb 4 and we were hoping to do reversal surgery in May, but COVID is stopping that. So with no surgery date in sight, I'm trying to get back to duty until surgery can be scheduled. Since you choose to not wear a protector/hernia support, did you have any issues with that? 

Puppyluv56

Hey,

If you have not tried the Coloplast Y-shaped barrier strips, I certainly would. They are a safeguard against leaks. I used them when I first got my ostomy because I was always having leaks. Once I found the two-piece pouch system that did not leak, I really did not need them anymore. They would certainly give you some confidence while on the job.

Puppy