Ileostomy Closure Tomorrow. Need Positive Reversal Stories!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic features positive experiences and advice from individuals who have undergone ileostomy reversal surgery, providing support and encouragement for those facing the procedure.
Stomarella

Hi all!

Should have posted earlier but here I am. After four months with an ileostomy (laparoscopic partial colectomy ended up being open surgery and woke up with a bag), tomorrow I am getting it reversed. I am scared and anxious, mostly because 1. The two big things that could have gone wrong went wrong last time and 2. I have read nothing but horror stories about the procedure.

I had severe diverticulitis, had suffered for a year, had an abscess and perforation, spent Christmas 2016

in the hospital and spent Christmas 2017 recovering from surgery. I am so scared I will wake up with a colostomy or some kind of issue. I am wondering if anyone can post some positive stories of their reversal. I'm so ready for this all to be over and look forward to donating all my ostomy supplies to someone who needs it. Thanks guys, this site has been so helpful and I'm just feeling a thousand times more anxious for the reversal than I was for the colorectal surgery. Big hugs to you all!

S

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Stomorella, I can't tell you not to be afraid, for I've never experienced a reversal. Yes, there are many with horror stories, but that doesn't mean you'll be one of them. Say a prayer and hope for the best. I wish you good luck and that your surgery will be a success. The good part is that you're getting a reversal. Some of us will not see that day. Best wishes! Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
maddie50322

I can't offer you any advice because I have never had a reversal nor will I ever get to experience one. But what I do offer is congratulations! I am so happy for you and the fact that you do have this chance to no longer have an ostomy. You are right, the worst thing that could happen is you may have a bag forever, but luckily reversals are typically very successful for most people. I have had my ostomy since November 2017 (I was 18 at the time) and like you, spent Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in the hospital. With all my health issues, the best thing I have learned to do is accept whatever happens, whenever it happens because the truth is my health and what my body does is out of my control. I accept whatever medical devices I need because I know if I don't get them, the consequences could/would be dire. Ultimately, to an extent, there are things none of us are in control of and we have to accept that.

Stomarella

Thank you, Angelique (sorry, I'm doing this from my phone and the Wi-Fi goes in and out). You are absolutely right. The grey area of adjusting to a bag, then the fear of removing it, has just been a bit much. I will stay positive!

Hugs

Suzy

Stomarella

Thank you, Maddie! You are wise beyond your years! Sending big hugs and grateful to you and the awesome people on this site xx

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PaddyV1987

I had ileostomy reversal surgery in November after having the stoma for 6 months due to severe diverticulitis, much like yourself. There are a lot of horror stories about this out there, but let me tell you, it is the single greatest thing I have ever done. My surgery went, for lack of another word, perfect. I was back at work in 3 weeks and with no, and I mean no, side effects whatsoever. I thought there would be some, to be honest, but I can eat what I like, drink what I like. It's as if I never had diverticulitis at all!! My stools are normal, albeit I probably go more than normal, about 4 times a day, but that's hardly something to complain about. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-op because I had to wait until I pooped to make sure it worked. So, as many horror stories as there are, you need to know that it also can go exceptionally well. I hope you have the same outcome as me. It was life-changing for me in so many ways.

PaddyV1987

Apologies for my spelling mistakes lol