Tucking or Hanging: Best Way to Wear Ostomy Bag?

Replies
Views
Desertmum

I've only had my ostomy for around two months. I am an elementary teacher of 30 4th graders, so I am pretty active throughout the day.

I wear mostly leggings with tunic-length shirts and have been letting my bag hang outside my pants, yet under my shirt. Some of my pre-surgery shirts are not long enough to hide the bag, so I can't wear them. I feel like my leggings are a bit too tight to tuck the bag into and am afraid they won't let the poop flow down into the bag right. I can't afford a whole new wardrobe and am supposed to be reversed this year anyway.

My ostomy in relation to my pants line is such that the waistband is right at the middle of the bag. I wonder if I should be tucking it in. BTW, I use the skinny stretchy Hollister belt just for security so I don't feel the bag will come off if it starts to get full.

Any thoughts? How do you all prefer to "wear" your bags?

maddie50322

I was lucky and I got to choose where my ostomy bag is. They plotted out two marks and I chose the one lower down. I wear leggings, tight jeans, dresses, crop tops, etc. However, I also wear high-waisted pants and leggings to avoid the issue of it hitting my bag weird, and I wear high-waisted underwear and sometimes use an ostomy wrap. I tuck my bag in; it just feels more natural to me. It sounds like to me your bag is too long. I do not wear the 12" bags for that reason and a few other reasons. My ileostomy is low output, so a 12" bag is overkill for me, my frame doesn't look right with a bag that big, and because my ostomy is so low, with a 12" bag it no joke hits mid-thigh on me. So I use a mini, drainable, convex, one-piece, opaque bag. It is 7" long and is perfect for me and my needs. However, there are more size options than just 12" and 7" inches. Many bags come in a Midi option where it is about 9-10" long, which will probably solve a lot of your issues without making the bag too small. Also, making sure all your pants, underwear, and leggings are high-waisted solves the issues of coming across the bag weird.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Are you ill or cold? I am cold and wear a bandeau, mostly as a cover but it does offer some leakage protection.

Past Member

I definitely tuck into undies, honestly wouldn't feel comfortable letting it all hang out, sounds like an accident waiting to happen! Particularly if it's a drainable pouch, those closures aren't always reliable. Probably depends if you're colo or ileo though, would make a difference in what's coming out and what kind of bag you use. I also position my pouch on a slight diagonal so it doesn't hang down.

Like Maddie said, high-waisted is the way to go, they give a smooth line to whatever clothes you wear over the top.

Have always worn "granny-style" or "Bridget Jones" knickers anyway, even before surgery, comfort is key! And apparently they are in vogue at the moment (see below), who would have thought! :-)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6008762/bridget-jones-style-granny-pants-underwear-trend-bella-hadid/

Desertmum

I was discussing this with hubby and my colostomy is so high, my "high-waisted" pants would be way too high! LOL. The high-waisted pants aren't an option. I don't think they make pants that high. Ha ha.

I have a drainable pouch so I put tension clips (office supplies) on the end.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chuckj65

I've had an ileo for a couple of years and have not once tucked it in. When I had a colo 15 years ago, I was heavier (190) and could tuck it in. Now I am much skinnier (135) and cannot tuck it in. The waist of my pants goes right over my stoma. I worked in a law office and never once tucked my shirt in, what a look!

I told my wife that even if we go to a formal event I will still have to have my shirt untucked. Life is interesting!