Is 'setting' Adapt paste necessary for a secure ostomy bag?

Replies
Views
Desertmum

My ostomy is right where a fold occurs when I sit. I use Adapt paste (the rings don't work). I am pretty successful with this paste - no leaks, etc. I put the paste on my bag then put my bag on, then use a heated gel pack to "set" the bag. The nurse in the hospital told me to do this.

Then, I lay on my bed for a while because I feel like it needs to "set" or something. Am I going overboard on "setting" the paste/bag?

maddie50322

If it works for you, do it! Ostomy supplies and routines are very personal, and everyone does it differently usually and uses different supplies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi, I have the same thing with a fold. I tried glues. I find a heat gun on the wafer with a lot of finger massage the wafer flexing with a very dry mount. I find the razors today have a slick stick that witch hazel cleans good. I also go without a pouch when I'm home. Hope all's well.

Desertmum

Yesterday I tried the wafer without the paste and I got a leak! I'm sticking with the paste. Still unsure if I really need to put the heat and lay flat for a while to "set" it.

Bluetrain67

Have you tried Adapt barrier rings? They have eliminated my need for stoma paste. They fit snugly around your stoma or you can stretch them out. I can even use 2 barrier rings for extra protection. Several companies sell barrier rings. They work. Good luck.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Evening Desertmum... if it ain't broke don't fix it, hun....if it works for you and your skin is good, do what you do, girl

Tracy