First Holiday Abroad with Stoma: Tips & Insurance Advice?

Replies
Views
Cinderella

Hi, this will be my first holiday abroad with my stoma. I will have not long been doing irrigation, so any hints or tips for going abroad would be great. Also, any advice on holiday insurance.

Thanks.

Bill

Hello Cinderella.
Thanks for your post as I’ve just returned from New Zealand and was wondering whether to post my own blog to share my experiences. Your questions mean that I can do that without opening a new post myself.
In the past, I would have done the long-haul flight in one go but as it takes about 30 hours I felt that I would split the journey and have a stopover both there and back.
I would say from the outset that the biggest problem was the worry about it all before I left. This involved working out the time I might have available between irrigations and whether I could get away with not having to do it on the plane. To overcome these concerns, I decided to wear a bag instead of a plug, which proved to be a good move as, by the end of each journey there was a small amount of output to be dealt with. The plug would not have been able to hold it in, which would have meant cleaning up a mess. Irrigating in the hotels was no problem at all and once we reached our destination we were staying with relatives, who were most understanding of my needs. Upon arrival in New Zealand the trip was soon put behind us and we had a great time doing all the things we had planned without too many problems with the stoma issues. I do have other medical issues besides the stoma, which were just as worrisome. However, along with most other people, I still don’t like the long-haul flights, even though everything worked out fine.
Customs only stopped me once and that was because I have a home-made hernia belt with a buckle they were curious about. They took me to a private room to examine my belt and bag but were appreciative, understanding and apologetic for inconveniencing me. From then on, I took the hernia belt off before going through customs and had no further problems. Although, its worth noting that a packet of chewing gum will set the alarms off because of the silver foil it’s wrapped in! Also, they confiscated my scissors, which I had forgotten to stow in my luggage rather than the carry-on bags.
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, I would have to seriously consider whether I would travel so far again, but that Has nothing to do with the stoma and more to do with being able to sleep in my own bed at nights.
As for insurance, I have a freebie through Lloyds bank and they were not at all interested in whether I had a stoma. If you inform the insurance company of your condition it should not affect the premium you pay and if it does, then I would look for another company.
I wish you the very best for your own trip.
Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,318 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Where are you going? I would get a travel card to show security. Airplane washrooms are small and cramped when dealing with a bag. There are not really any problems that cannot be solved if you are prepared. Your bag does not blow up once you are in the air. Take all the supplies you need and half that much again. It is no fun running out when traveling. Look under Premium Content for travel-related posts.

paulaAZ

Hi there Cinderella ... I travel quite a bit internationally and domestically with my ileostomy. So I do not have the luxury of irrigating or having a plug. When I eat, it goes pretty much right through -- some foods faster than others. But all that said, I have had absolutely no problems. I agree with Bill about using the bag instead of the plug. I actually take the little bottles of water they give you on the flights into the bathroom with me or have an empty bottle in my carry-on (purchased after security of course) ... and I use water to rinse out my bag as I empty it and also to ensure that I can clean out any "residue" left in the toilet on the plane since there is next to nothing water in the toilets in their lavatories.

As far as security, I have found that if you go through the "walk-through" scanners, the one where it is just walking through, no stop and get scanned ... it doesn't pick up a thing as far as your ostomy appliance goes. The one where you stand with your hands over your head, that will pick up the bag, whether it has anything in it or not. So I do not say a word or show the travel card unless I am going through the scanner where you stand still. Never have had a problem.

So like I said, I love to travel and actually now that I have my ileostomy and am not bothered with Crohn's/UC, I can travel with more confidence than I have in the past. I had my surgery in 2015 and wish I had had it quite a few years before ... but it is all good now, and that is what really counts.

Travel on!

Paula

funnygurl

I take twice as many supplies as I would normally use. In hot, humid climates, I go through a lot more flanges. I take doggy disposal bags to dispose of pouches. TSA is always respectful. If I am checked, I simply tell the inspector I have an ostomy. No problems. Take your supplies in your carry-on except liquids and pastes in case your checked luggage is lost. Enjoy your holiday!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Lucky48

Do the small adhesive remover wipe packets cause any problems going through security? What about a bottle of stoma powder?

Past Member

How was your holiday?