Need advice: No bowel movements after colostomy

Replies
Views
myhorsemax

Hi all - I could sure use some advice. For about the last six days, I have had very little output. I had a colostomy back in August, and since then, no problems. Usually, the poop has been kind of mushy, and Friday am, I had some hard poop balls. Hate to be graphic, but if you have an ostomy, sometimes you have to be. I had one hard poop ball yesterday, and since then, nothing. I have been in contact with my regular doctor, and she said to try taking Miralax, which I have to no avail. I did have a cataract removed last Monday with light sedation, and she said she doubted if that was the problem, but anything was possible. I am getting terribly worried...does this mean I am getting an obstruction? I am having no pain at all at this time. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Cindy

Past Member

It's a phase your guts will come to a regular sooner or later to a degree. You can have control of your stool's shape. If you eat seafood stick, you eat like a horse, you will crap like a horse. I eat one small good meal, drink juice, eat granola, meats, milk, V8. If you're stressed out, you won't poop regular until you relax. Hot long shower, lay down, use a high frequency body wand, relax. As long as your meals are small, you chew food well, you will live.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,442 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Desertmum

I'm not sure she's correct about the sedation. I have been told specifically that different forms of sedation can cause constipation. When my daughter gets constipation (really bad) we use the bottled magnesium nitrate. This got things moving within a day or two. Then, we follow up with Miralax. This was following dr's orders. Good luck.

violeta

Hi Cindy,

Hope that by now your problem has been resolved. Constipation should be taken seriously and laxatives should help - if not one kind, try another. I have tried quite a few and the only thing that has worked was bisacodyl 5mg not every day. Read somewhere that senna/docusate works - don't know because my GP does not prescribe it. Can PM you with my story. Best wishes

Jenerprise

If you have been eating normally and drinking fluids, etc., and drinking Miralax, I would be safe and call the doctor pronto. Do not mess around with constipation. Best to be extra safe.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jenerprise

If you have been eating normally and drinking fluids, etc., and drinking Miralax, I would be safe and call the doctor pronto. Do not mess around with constipation. Best to be extra safe.