Rectal Stump Worries

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ChrisJ

Hello, I'm new to the website, while there are similar cases I have read in other posts (and have found extremely useful and inspiring), I'm writing for reassurance.

I was diagnosed with UC at the age of 16, underwent subtotal colectomy and ileostomy op at 19 after the severity increased, and have had no monitoring up until last week, flexible sigmoidoscopy, I'm now 30, 11 years!

I found the sigmoid procedure to be absolutely agonizing. I ended up on gas and air and they couldn't complete it. They did however have the time to take a couple of frightening looking photographs and take 2 biopsies. I've had a leaking rectal stump from the day of my op, which at the time I was told was to be expected and I'd still have flare ups. During the last year the flare ups have been a lot more persistent, painful and bloody. I've not had any treatment during this time and I'm really concerned, given the amount of time that has passed, that something more sinister has developed. The time lead time for biopsy results is 1-2 weeks. I'm keen to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what path they took? I'm 90% sure I'll go ahead with the rectal stump removal op, as I don't feel I'm suited for a reversal due to the complete lack of control I've suffered from. My sigmoid doctor has recommended an MRI, I'm not sure if this is due to the pain I was in or because she spotted something worrying. I'm waiting, nervously, for news. Any advice, insight, similar experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance, Chris

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Chris.  I'm so sorry you didn't get a bunch of offerings.  There are so many knowledgeable, caring folks here and some have had experiences similar to yours.  I'm not expert on this but I have a colostomy and a rectal stump.  The rectum continues to produce a lubricating mucus that can be annoying but beyond that, I didn't think the rectum would cause problems.  Obviously there's way more to it.  Please get all the noninvasive testing you can get before you decide to remove it.  If the rectum hurts there's somethinmg wrong with it but removing it might not be the only or best solution.  Please get better and keep us posted,

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate