Hernia Prevention & Ileostomy Appliance Support

In this discussion
Replies
Views
beatrice

I'm going blind (and not finding what I know must be out there) looking at the websites -- so maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.

I'm interested in getting a support belt. Not one of the narrow ones that attaches to the pouch and just holds it down better against your body.

Something wider (hopefully not too cumbersome) that goes around the body, supports the abdominal area, and accommodates a vertical ileostomy appliance.

I'm fairly active but have never had great abdominal muscles and was told and retold about being careful about hernias. I'm thinking that such a belt would perhaps prevent hernias and also make me feel more 'protected' for some activities like full-contact gardening, heavyweight grocery shopping, and UFC competitions (not lying about the gardening and groceries)

Anyone wear or know of such an item?

Many thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gus
Dunno what you can get in Canada but here in Australia we get an ostomy support belt, well 3 a year for free. It's a beige color and made of a stretchy material with Velcro fasteners.

http://www.omnigon.com.au/uploads/catalogue/Omnigon%20Website%20Catalogue%20-%208%20.pdf

Check out this site and it may help you find what you want. Another option is I get you one and post it to you.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

If you sew, you can go to Walmart or whatever store you have and get a back support one without metal bars in it. Then, measure where your bag is and cut out a hole just big enough to fit around your ring. Sew it up or use the tape that you iron on.

lottagelady

Hi Beatrice - have a look at these, it will give you some idea.

http://www.nu-hope.com/products.php

Though why they make these things in white, I do not know! xx

beatrice

Thanks all!

Gus - I should be able to find something locally (but if not, I just might take you up on your offer!)
WeeWee - I'm at the stage where I'd rather just buy something rather than make it - what makes that more embarrassing is that I am handy/crafty and do sew. Just not into the mindset.
LLady - thanks for the link.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
beatrice

S. They make them in white so that we mess/dirty them up and have to buy replacements.

lottagelady

Yep! Never thought of that one, going stupid in my old age .............. xx
nakedinthesunt

I bought some swim suit material and just made a wide band out of it, and it works great for swimming, exercise, sleep, intimate times... you name it. I actually made 4, each a different width.

sooziq

Hi, I also told someone on here about OSTOMYSECRETS website, look it up. They have underpants for men and women and a band to wear also for swimming, etc.

Sooziq

sweede

Here's another link for you to look at. We get them free here on prescription. Perhaps one of the U.K ladies could order one for you?

http://www.hiline.ltd.uk
sportsman
Hi Beatrice,
I am also new to stoma care, having had a urostomy operation last September. Also, I like to play golf regularly and swim, so I have also been looking for stoma support garments.
I suggest you look at the website for Comfizz Ltd., which is: www.comfizz.com.
I have already tried their waistband, which I have used for both golf and swimming, and found it very effective. On their recommendation, I am about to order and try their unisex boxer garment, which they say is even more helpful for the active person and also helps to offset the risk of hernia. As you are abroad, you may prefer to contact them by e-mail, and the address is: lorraine@comfizz.com. Tel: 44(0) 1757 229531. Best of luck, I would be interested in how you get on.

Sportsman
sweede

Hi Beatrice, if it's a few pairs of Comfizz you're after, PM me with your address and size, (you can get your measurements from the link Sportsman provided), and I'll pop a few pairs in the mail to you.

pastorpatricia
Hi,
I had surgery in September and again in October of this year and am developing two hernias.
Last week, I went to the drugstore and bought a wide elastic belt, cut a hole for the bag, and stitched up the edges. The whole thing cost me less than $40.00 and works very well. The druggist said it works just as well as the belts sold by the Ostomy supply people and costs a lot less. Hope you find something that works for you.
God bless,
bonnie blue

NuHope makes an ostomy hernia belt. The place where you get your supplies should have the info. Be sure to get the NuHope manufacturer.

uaqim

I have just purchased two hernia support belts from http://www.celebrationostomysupportbelt.com/. They cost US$140.00 each for the 6" wide belt (it's cheaper for a 4" belt). I have been wearing it for 1½ days so far and am very pleased with it.

I have a parastomal hernia and had to tell the company the size of the flange of my 2-piece system.

The belt comes with a perspex (like) material (with a hole in it) that flattens the hernia and is comfortable to wear. I wear my appliance vertically and the bag is supported at the bottom. I am finding it easy to empty my bags 4-5 times a day.

Today I played lawn bowls for approximately 4½ hours and I felt no discomfort wearing the belt – even crouching down close to the ground to deliver the bowls.

I bought these belts because the manufacturer is a doctor who has an ileostomy and a parastomal hernia. He invented the support belt because he felt that nothing else on the market gave the support he felt was necessary to support his hernia.

Hope this helps.

Steve