Option 1, 2 or 3: Dx Colonic Inertia and Pelvic Floor Issues

Replies
Views
dawolfe

On Friday, I came from a colorectal surgeon. The diagnosis is colonic inertia and pelvic floor issues. He gave me three options. 1. Just keep doing what you're doing, which is taking lots and lots of laxatives every 2-3 days. (I work a full-time job but do miss work because of this illness). 2. Total colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis. 3. Total colectomy with ileostomy. Just asking for opinions, please. TIA......

maddie50322

So I got an ileostomy because I was diagnosed with severe colonic inertia and severe pelvic floor dysfunction as well as overall digestive tract paralysis essentially all due to my connective disorder. For me, the ileostomy was the only option though. My surgeon told me the second option you are talking about wouldn't work because if you have pelvic floor issues, you can't push things out. Option One was also not an option for me because I was on an excessive amount of laxatives daily, I had tried every laxative, no joke, on the market, and in various combinations yet despite all of this, I was going once a month. For me, within ten days of doing the last test/having the follow-up appointment, I was in the OR getting the ileostomy. Because of my connective tissue disorder and how bad my colon function was (it had literally no function), my surgeon was seriously afraid my colon would rupture and I would go septic. He also wouldn't let me put off the surgery until my winter break (which was about a month and a half after the original surgery date) because he felt my colon was in such bad shape. I didn't get my colon taken out at the time, I just got the loop ileostomy so I could reverse it if I didn't like it, and it is an easier surgery to recover from. But he said if I was planning on keeping it within a year or so, I need to get my colon removed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dawolfe

Thank you so much for your response. Very much appreciated...

vdahl
I agree... I have an ileostomy for the same reason 2.2.17. I do have a loop ileostomy with the large intestine bypassed as well. My surgeon said there's absolutely no point in trying to reverse it because of the pelvic floor issues. She said she'd rather not remove the large intestine, but I'll admit, I'm having real issues with inflammation, not to mention the loop stoma. Do either of your doctors talk about pros/cons for leaving the large intestine?

Thanks, V

Are either of you aware of t
maddie50322

I was told by my surgeon that long term, my colon will have to come out within a year or so of the ileostomy being put in, and then my stoma would need to be converted to an end ileostomy. I was told it is because since the colon isn't being used, it will deteriorate. Also, long term end ileostomies are better. I am looking to have mine removed around the end of this year or beginning of next year. I also want to separate my feeding tube as well at the same time. So I need someone who can do both.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister