Post - Colostomy Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Investo

I am a 47-year-old male that almost died from a colon rupture on 12/22/2017. I had diverticulitis that caused my condition in which I had no symptoms.

I was left with a colostomy bag for 4 months and just went through a colostomy reversal on 4/19/2018.

I am early in the recovery but have lots of bowel movements with little amounts of stool each time. I've also noticed that I have no warning signs when I need to go....need support from those that have been through this.

I am healthy and want so bad to get back to normal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Investo.  Thanks for posting and I hope you get some useful replies to your request for support.  The problem with sites such as this is that many people come here when they have problems and drift away when those problems are resolved. This is a good sign that things have got better for them but it doesn't help people such as you, who want feedback on success stories.   As with all surgeries, it takes at least six weeks to begin to settle down and I would think that gradually you will regain control of your output. If this does not happen naturally, I would suggest that you discuss the problems with a stoma nurse, who will no doubt have had similar problems put to them in the past.

I hope things turn out well for you and please let us know how it progresses over time.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jenerprise

Hello

I had a colostomy reversal about 5 months ago. It was the same for me at first. It gets better as the muscles are used more and everything gets back in sync. Don't freak out. If it wasn't favorable for your surgeon to do a takedown, he/she wouldn't have given you the option.

March101997

I had the same perforated bowel from diverticulitis, which I had never been told about. Surgery ended with a colostomy. I had a reversal also, yet days, much time spent in the restroom. I long for normalcy also.

Investo
Reply to Bill

Update: I am forever grateful of this site and being able to air my concerns over my colon issues.

It is approaching 6 years ago (12/22/2017) that my colon ruptured from diverticulitis and almost died of sepsis of the diarea going into me. 

I had a colon reversal on 4/19/2018 and I did finally recover nicely.  I have not had any issues with colon since and thank God every day of the blessing for him to help me get through this.

I am contemplating having cosmetic surgery to remove or redo my open wound scars on my stomach next year.  

I pray for all of you that are reading my post that have not been as fortunate as my situation. You have a special place in my heart because none of us asked for this but be sure to understand that this condition is not permanent on living your life to it's fullest.  God Bless!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister