Rectum Removal Surgery: Hospital Stay & Recovery Experiences?

Replies
Views
Jabra0419

Hi Sasquatch, thanks for the valuable info. They said robot-assisted surgery is less invasive than the traditional open surgery. The surgeon also said about the bladder not fully emptying for a while (urinary retention).

How about your rectal wound (drain), did it heal in 8 weeks? Let me know if you have any issues. Thanks.

Sasquatch

I'm close to 8 weeks out now, my rectal drainage stopped a couple of weeks ago. I just wore a woman's menstrual pad until it stopped. I honestly feel pretty close to normal at this point.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jabra0419

You healed pretty well.

I'm wondering how you are adapting to your stoma pouch. What type of pouch are you using (one or two piece)?

What about your diet after surgery?

Thanks for the reply.

Sasquatch

I've had the ileostomy for two years now, those challenges are long behind me. I use a Hollister 2-piece appliance. As far as diet goes, easy does it for a little while. Anything new, or anything you suspect might cause an issue, try a little at first to see how it does.

Rosiesmom
Hi Jabari, I had my surgery in 2014. It was robotically done, so the recovery was pretty quick. I was up and walking the next day in the hospital for five days. My rectum was stitched closed, and for me, that was the real source of discomfort, especially as they dried out. Itchy and tender. They were in for about three weeks. A gel-filled pillow that my hubby got at Costco was a godsend. I still use it on long car trips and international flights. As far as dietary restrictions, I pretty much eat anything but do shy away from nuts and corn, and I eat high fiber in moderation. The products I use are two-piece Convatec with Velcro closure. My doctor writes a letter of necessity to my insurance company so that I receive 40 pouches a month instead of the 20 they recommend. You will find invaluable info and support on this site. We have all walked in your shoes. A colostomy is our new normal, but it allows us to get on with living. Attitude is everything; a positive one will make all the difference. Good luck and God bless. If I can be of any help answering questions, I will be happy to. Sincerely, Gail aka Rosiesmom.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
nomolos

What does a gay man do that used to be a "bottom" in sexual relations? I have a permanent colostomy and I've been in a long-term relationship for 16 years. We're solid, but I feel so sad for my husband. There is no answer for this question. Sorry for asking.