Altering Your Jeans

In this discussion
Replies
Views
basegirl13

Hi there

I have had my stoma since last September. I have a lot of jeans, capris, and shorts that have buttons and zippers on them. Does anyone know how I can remove the button and zipper, maybe make them more like maternity pants because the button sits right on my stoma? They all fit me, it's just the position it sits. Make sense? Any thoughts or suggestions???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Found these on Amazon (Oz site below but pretty sure they are global ;-)!)

https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Pants-Waist-Extender-5-Pack/dp/B01E7JCCIW

And I think Target has "belly belts" for pregnant women but a bit more expensive.

And the below "stomaatje" site has ideas for sewing in some stretchy fabric near the button (looks a bit fiddly though and may be for the seamstress/crafty inclined). This site has all kinds of stoma-related info and is worth a look anyway for the new ostomate.

https://www.stomaatje.com/clothing.html

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ewesful

I was a seamstress in one of my life journeys! Anyway -- I use a piece of narrow elastic cording and make a stretch loop like a hair holder and that works if you need a couple or so inches. There are places to buy stretch panels and or yardage that can be sewn in like a v or u shape.

Otherwise, try to find jeans etc. with some elastic in the waist and go one size larger. Maternity pants also work but you should be able to get regular clothing to fit, but you may have to go to a high-cut waist -- different brands of clothing make a difference on fit as well - when I like a particular cut, I get a couple pairs. Skirts and dresses are easy.

Rosiesmom

Doesn't help on existing but bells have a line by Alea. They are great pants capris. Some even have a tummy panel. I wear them all the time, no prob.

Past Member

If you know how to sew or someone who does, these are a good trade-off so you can keep wearing your current pants.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister