Struggling with new ostomy - need advice on managing leaks!

Replies
Views
Teri

I too have an ileostomy, but now I sleep in a recliner so I can't roll over, and my husband sleeps in the bedroom. At least like this, we both get a good night's sleep.

Rosiesmom

Hi, Rozanskysim.

How is it going, better I hope?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello from Maine. I used to live an hour north of you. I used to go to Cowboys, on Old Minden Rd. I miss those good 'ol days!!! As far as hating your ostomy, think of it as your lifeline. Without it, you may be looking at the roots, and having the worms visit you. I use a body pillow between my legs to prevent me from sleeping on my belly. I do have some night leaks, depending on when I eat my last meal for the day. I also placed underpads between the sheet and mattress in case of the dreaded airbag explosion. I researched as much as possible before I acquired Jake (my ostomy). I watched him being changed by the nurses, and I only had 3 visits from visiting nurses. I have had leaks in public, and I handle it like it is nobody's business but mine. If they are offended by me draining Jake in public, they can kiss both of my butts!! LOL Hang in there, you can do this!!!

Past Member

Hi Roz..... Been there... had that problem... shit everywhere!!! I have two solutions for you. Two things changed my life with an Ostomy. The first is simple and affordable and VERY effective.

"Micropore Surgical Tape" the 3M Brand is the only one that works. It is a very gentle paper tape which will not irritate the skin... ever!! This tape will not come off in water... in the shower or even in big Ocean waves. I generally tape the four sides of the Wafer... almost like a "picture frame" around the four sides of the Wafer. I use Two Inch tape... even Three inch. If a leak is beginning you will feel it under the tape... before the tape actually lifts and this gives you the critical few minutes to get to a bathroom.

"Absorbagel" is a Moisture absorbing powder (looks like Salt) which comes in little sachets about the size of a quarter. You open the end of the bag... after you empty it... and put in two or even three of the little packets (sachets). These will absorb most of the watery liquid in the Bag. What is in the Bag will end up looking and feeling like a thick Pudding and will no longer pose a threat as far as leaking. When I use the Absorbagel I can open the end of the Bag... just leave it open and hanging and NOTHING comes out... I have to squeeze the bag like... haha... Icing a cake... lol... It will not pour out if the bag breaks open in any way. Using these two products will give you a totally new life... I guarantee you!!! I introduced my G Friend (Osto Lady) to 3M Micropore Tape and the Absorbagel and it changed her life. I haven't had a leak in my bed for years!!!!.

I get Absorbagel in Ireland and it is available in England and possibly Canada. Have a look online and you will find it. It is quite expensive if you have to pay. About 75 Pounds for 150 sachets in England. If you use three every time you empty it can be expensive. Try using two when going out or going to bed... it will change your life totally!!! magoomoran@gmail.com.... please write and let me know if it works for you. The Tape is available (about 7 a 2 inch roll... can get it for a buck a roll on the Net!!!

Please try one or both, you will not regret it.

Eamon....

MagicFlute14

I used to hate my situation more than the ostomy... I spent 60 days in a rehab facility after the operation with an open wound and horrible bags that leaked, didn't fit at all, and had a constant odor.. Now, I finally found the perfect wafer that is not uncomfortable and very seldom leaks (almost never, and no odors at all). I'm sure your feelings will change once you find what fits you better. I use a bigger convex wafer with very soft bags, and I sleep on top of it most nights without any problems.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Little Red

I also had to have emergency surgery. I don't remember it at all. I went to CT and woke up in intensive care with my ostomy (surprise). But given the alternative, I thank my surgeons for saving my life. It has not been easy, but for the grace of God and hard work, I am still enjoying my life at age 78. I was 76 at the time of my surgery.

Rosiesmom

To everyone who responded to Roz, have you noticed he has yet to acknowledge any of us? This will sound harsh, but there are those of us that just want to stay at the pity party. My brother, God rest his soul, was one of them. He had a urostomy which he simply would not accept, would not look at, or take care of. He just wanted everyone to know how unfair it all was. I tried to reason with him to no avail. This was before Rosie came into my life. Then, the good Lord took him home, a blessing of sorts as he would never have come to terms. It is what it is, you either adapt or stay pissed off and let life pass you by. The choice is yours.

f

Rozanskyism

God bless you Rosiesmom!

I'm sorry for not responding more. I have been totally overwhelmed by my recovery. My wife has been encouraging me to reconnect with this group.

Take care,

David

Rosiesmom

Hi David, sorry to hear you are so overwhelmed, however, have things gotten better? I know we are all hoping the response is positive. Please know you are not alone.

britathrt60

I have had an ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis for 18 years. I never have a good night's sleep because I am constantly checking my pouch for air, etc. I empty a few times through the night. When I do sleep, I have horrible nightmares about being out somewhere and needing to empty and not being able to find a bathroom. It happens to me a lot and is very stressful. Once in a while, I do spring a leak through the night and I absolutely hate it. In fact, it happened yesterday morning and thankfully only messed my PJ bottoms and not the sheets. I was so tired and miserable that I put 2 large depends on and slept for a while longer before bathing and changing everything. Having the surgery saved my life and I am so grateful, but the ostomy has taken over my life in so many ways. It literally rules me. However, it is what it is and I am so grateful for this site where we all understand each other and can support one another.

Best wishes everyone.

Angela

Past Member

Hello to you. I used to go to Cowboys on Old Minden Rd, back in the late 80's early 90's. I miss listening to KMBQ and 98 Rocks. Back when I visited Shreveport (avoided Allendale at all costs...lol), I had to travel 71. You folks threw in an interstate since then. I was last that way in '07. My mom and sister still reside in Texarkana, which I have heard added 2 interstates (49 and 369). I will need someone as a tour guide the next time I visit.....lol How are you holding up with your "add-on"? I actually am used to it, after 5 months and 3 days of having mine. Volcanic in the mornings are the funniest moment of my day.....lol I got mine, due to stage 3 rectal cancer. I have completed chemo, awaiting radiation, then the takedown, which has yet to be scheduled. After the reversal, I will stay on this site, to support others. Some are handling ostomys well, and others have a difficult time. We are all here for one another.

Bagface

I've had my ostomy for six months and have done very well overall, but I set the alarm at night for 3am to empty it. Even when I wake up later on, it looks ready to explode! I check the whole "rig" frequently for leaks. I had one horrifying incident a few weeks ago; I woke up with crap running down my legs as a result of major leaking.

dls

Hi Roz (David). Are you doing better? Just finished reading all the replies to your post...you got some great advice and some terrific product ideas. I've had my colostomy for 14 months. It was the result of 3rd stage rectal cancer. I also had a hernia. They did it all in 3.5 hours. Of everything I went through—Chemo and radiation concurrently, surgery, then three more months of 'chemo cleanup'. So far so good—there are years of follow-up and collateral damage: hair fallout, three lost teeth (implant time!) and just the time and pain lost to cancer and treatment. So, back to my ostomy...I was so sick when I came home 'learning' all about my ostomy was the only thing that kept me occupied. Oh, I must ask—did you have good information before your surgery? I noticed you mentioned that your family 'soft-pedaled' the reality of your new plumbing. My surgeon and ostomy nurse were fantastic, held nothing back...my ostomy nurse telling me that once I learn all this stuff, I will do just fine. Physically, they were both right. No one understood the anger, depression, and surrealism of all this...that's why this site is here. I am a widow and an orphan...you may have lost a bit of your physical self, but you have a wife who sounds loving and supportive...so stop your bellyaching and learn everything you can about your new little buddy, accept it as you do your aging body, thinning hair, or whatever happens as you age. Like aging, this isn't going to go away, and it is the skill of many people who helped create that little guy so you can live a long and healthy life with your family. You are not damaged, you are one lucky man.