Hernia Under a Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
BayGal

Hi, just looking if anyone has had or has got a hernia under their stoma as I had that a year ago and they put a mesh in me and now the hernia has pushed out the mesh and is back again.... I am currently awaiting my op but I have so much pain in the spot of my bag and under it my belly is like a volcano on one side. Would so like to hear from anyone else who has experienced this. Thanks x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi BayGal.  So sorry you're going through this and I can't offer any help.  I do have some experience with a hernia which I was able to control with a hernia belt from NU HOPE LABORATORIES.  They'll fit you perfectly with the help of your doctor to keep things in place.

Wishing you the very best and a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Baygirl. Like Mike, my situation is that I have a gernia but decided against any more surgery in favour of hernia belts and plugs to keep the hole from closing over. I read an article a week or so ago which said that there was an investigation going on at present into surgical mesh because too many prcedures were going wrong, necessitating more operations to remove it. I look forward to seeing the results of the investigation as it has implications for ostomates contemplating this way forward.

Best wishes

Bill 

Skidude

Welcome to the world of ostomies...a parastomal hernia is almost a given. I have had 4, three with the standard keyhole mesh repair that has a 65%+ failure rate. My last one was repaired using a modified Sugarbaker procedure with a 96% success rate (Google search). Not many surgeons in the US know about or perform the surgery. I went to Philadelphia to have mine done last November and at this point - 6 months post-op - very happy with the results.