ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Meet and talk to 19,351 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,351 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Ileostomy with discharge in rectum.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:00 pm

I am new to OstoMate and just a bit shy about asking questions. But from what I have read, I know I shouldn't be concerned about asking any question, so here it is:

Soon after my ileostomy surgery in 2013, I was informed that about every six months a discharge of "mucus" would occur. This happened.  About a year later this discharge became more  frequent, where I experienced the discharge once per month. Then the discharge happened once per week until it began happening almost every day. Frequently there is blood in the discharge. Before the discharge, the feeling sends me to the bathroom, sometimes in a hurry. And I thought those days were over!

The doctor said I have colitis and prescribed an enema, Mesalamine Rectal Suspension. Sometimes this helps, other times it does not help.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Seasaw...was supposed to be Seesaw but for some reason I wasn't allowed to correct the mistake...

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi there, I too suffer from the discharge of mucus. My professor informed me it can be a very normal thing for some patients. I get it daily and like you it takes me to the bathroom. I do not get the enemas due to the removal of rectum and the remaining room left. If there is blood I would touch base with your stoma nurse. I think they are as good as the doctors. 😊

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 am

Thank you for your response!

The remaining room in my rectum isn't much, so my doctor has me using a portion of the prescribed enema. For each dose I use less than a quarter of a bottle, then hold it in for as long as I can. Directions say to leave the dose in all night. Sometimes I am able to do this, and other times, especially if the colitis is acting up, I cannot. 

I too think stoma nurses are great.

Many thanks.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:35 am

You are most welcome. I remember when it first happened to me I was shocked, wondering what on earth was going on 😃, now it’s all part of the daily happenings. I think once you understand, you can accept. It’s just the unknown. 

Take care. 

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:35 am

Hello Seasaw. Not everyone has this problem of anal mucus discharge but those of us who do have it tend to get used to it pretty quickly. There have been a few blogs and forum posts on the subject in the past which have thrown up a few useful tips. However, what most of them boil down to, is that, given time, we adjust to whatever is thrown at us and get on with our lives accordingly. The one question I have ponderd on for years, is whether it would be worth having the operation to remove the anus altogether. This becomes more pertinent each time the pain becomes unbearable and it diminishes in importance as that pain subsides. However, the mucus discharge seems to be a constant which I could well do without. I have been dealing with it by using incontinence pads, biut they don't absorb the mucus immediately, so I have some roled up tissue to slow it down before it gets absorbed. It's just another irritation I could do without!   

Best wishes

Bill 

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi Seasaw. 

I don't know what type of ostomy you have, whether it's an ileostomy or a colostomy, but I have a colostomy and they stapled part of my colon off which means that I don't have any drainage whatsoever coming down, which was the purpose of not having any stool coming through my vagina as I have a rectovaginal fistula, and even (hopefully!) helping it heal by itself without further surgery. Maybe you could ask your colorectal surgeon about this possibility? 

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:34 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello Seasaw. Not everyone has this problem of anal mucus discharge but those of us who do have it tend to get used to it pretty quickly. There have been a few blogs and forum posts on the subject in the past which have thrown up a few useful tips. However, what most of them boil down to, is that, given time, we adjust to whatever is thrown at us and get on with our lives accordingly. The one question I have ponderd on for years, is whether it would be worth having the operation to remove the anus altogether. This becomes more pertinent each time the pain becomes unbearable and it diminishes in importance as that pain subsides. However, the mucus discharge seems to be a constant which I could well do without. I have been dealing with it by using incontinence pads, biut they don't absorb the mucus immediately, so I have some roled up tissue to slow it down before it gets absorbed. It's just another irritation I could do without!   

Best wishes

Bill 

Thank you Bill.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I have an ileostomy.

And thank you.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Bill,

I am curious, do you get pain with the discharge. I have had mucus discharge almost since I had my ileostomy at the age of 31. I never had pain with it. I am sure that you have checked with your MD about this.

X_

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I have consulted my MD and my surgeon and other doctors.

There is no real pain, but the extreme urgency at times is quite unpleasant.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Bill..old Post I know but you might want to try 4x4 guaze pads by Band Aid (red Cross on front if box) I get them at Target for about 2.50. A box of ten. Then I cut them in to four equal pieces. Make sure you get the ones that have "quiltvent technology". They don't disintegrate and although you can't flush they are sterile and I'm guessing help with idour too. When saturated I remove and wrap with TP before tossing.  There's another brand by Johnson and Johnson also 4 x 4 ten to abix, but they are flimsier and I can only get two pieces out if each pad because they're thinner. Still better than tissue but I much prefer the the Quiltvent feature. Anyway, hope it's helpful...~

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Yes,I Kno what you mean. Y doctor said it's normal...our bodies have been used to feeling that sense if urgency. I noticefor me it's when the gauze pad is saturated. It tells me when it needs to be changed.  ~Shanbi

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 am
Xerxes wrote:

Bill,

I am curious, do you get pain with the discharge. I have had mucus discharge almost since I had my ileostomy at the age of 31. I never had pain with it. I am sure that you have checked with your MD about this.

X_

Hello Xerxes. 

I do occasionally get pain with the mucus discharge but I do not 'blame' the discharge for this as, prior to the surgery I had an anal prolapse whixch I presume is still there but not now aggravated by a build up of faecces. However, if the mucus does not discharge regularly and there is a buildup, then the chronic pain returns until that mucus passes. They have offered to sort it out with removal of the anus but it is a major operation, which I can well do without. So, I put up with what I've got  and don't let it bother me too much.

NOTE: This situation is so much better than it was before the ostomy that I'm grateful for what I now have, even if it isn't perfect!

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 am

Hello Shanbi220. Thanks for the tip. I will look out for the gauze pads you mention. However, I have found that the cheap supermarket own-brand tissues are absorbent and tend to hold together fairly well. I don't flush them down the toilet because I do not think they are flushable like the toilet tissue and some of these things contain 'plastic' (would you believe!).

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm
Shanbi220,
I been away for awhile.
Thank you for writing.
Seasaw
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.