Post Hartmann's Reconnection and Hernia Repair

Replies
Views
Lincoln

Hello,

I had my emergency Hartmann's procedure done in Lincoln one year ago. It prevented me from dying at that time. On May 3rd this year, I had the reversal done and a hernia repair carried out in Nottingham Queens Med. I was under the knife for less than three hours and woke up to no bag. The elation was unbelievable. I was euphoric. I stayed in the hospital for one week, being released the following Thursday.

This is now 13 days post-op and my bowels seem to have more or less settled down. I have stopped taking the laxatives as they were maybe too effective. I don't really need the oromorph either and only take paracetamol as required. The district nurses are coming around every day to pack my wound and it seems okay too. The initial scar was opened from my pelvis up to my belly button and sutured closed after the reconnection. There is a fair amount of exudate from this wound but only serous fluid, clear to a straw-colored and a little smelly, no infection. The other wound where my stoma was is six cm deep and is open. The surgeon half closed it with a purse string stitch and it will heal from the bottom up.

Has anyone else had this open wound at the stoma site and how long did it take to heal? The wound itself is clean and I have little pain.

I was amazed at the calm attitude of the surgeon. He said it was simply joining two pipes together and if there were no problems before surgery, then there should be no problems after the surgery. And it does seem that way for me.

Personally, I would highly recommend the reversal. All of my fears were unfounded. I didn't wake with a bag. I am beginning to get normal function, albeit a little more urgent than it was, but I suppose it is still early days. It's just this massive hole in my abdomen that needs to heal.

Bill

Hello Lincoln. Thank you so much for posting your experiences in such a clear and expressive way. We do so need this sort of feedback on a site such as this, where there are lots of people asking lots of questions when things are not so good for them. I particularly like the comment from your surgeon "if there were no problems before surgery then there should be no problems after the surgery"  - which seems like a fair enough appraisal of the situation. 

I found that the stoma nurses tend to be the best people to ask about the healing processes as they are the ones who deal with the after effects and queeries. 

I hope everything continues to go well for you and you make a full recovery soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lincoln

Hi Bill, thanks for that, it has been nearly six months now. The scar down the middle of my stomach did eventually split or was subject to dehiscence. It revealed a deep pit of infection. I was admitted to Lincoln and had IV antibiotics for a week. After that, everything settled down. The 6cm deep hole in the middle of the split scar and on the side where the stoma was have now both healed. It took a further three to four weeks, so no real problems. Normal function has returned and other than a slight lack of feeling or sensation around the stoma site and between it and my belly button, everything is great. I hope that if anyone has any reservations about getting joined together again, reading of my experiences will help.