Seeking Advice: Unexplained Rectal Pain After Colostomy - Any Suggestions?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice for managing unexplained rectal pain after colostomy surgery.
p101

Hi, would anybody ever come across a pain in the rectum similar to pile-type pain? I have had a colostomy for 5 years with this unexplained pain for 18 months. Any ideas would help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rosiesmom

What does your surgeon say? I occasionally have some discomfort if I have sat too long or in a flight and can't walk enough. My rectum was stitched closed when I got my ostomy surgery. It will probably always be a tender area. Take care.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello p101. You describe the pain succinctly and well, so perhaps your explanation about piles might also be accurate? There is no reason why Haemorrhoids should not form. Hemorrhoids are only clumps of dilated (enlarged) blood vessels in the anus and lower rectum. Indeed, it is speculated that everybody has them but some are worse than others. Given this fact, there are loads of treatments on the market and several surgical procedures to cater for the condition. However, a word of warning. It was this latter route which led to my stoma, so be very wary as to who you chose as a surgeon.  There are other, more serious conditions that can cause the same symptoms so it doesn't do any harm to have it checked properly, so that you know what you are dealing with and can proceed accordingly.

Best wishes

Bill

p101

Hi,

A surgeon has sent me for a lot of different MRIs, but they see no reason for it. Just thought somebody might have come across something like this.

Thanks anyway, p101

Real me

After my colostomy reversal, I started to have pain in the rectum, and my doctor said it's because the feces were hard and the scar tissue in my rectum and anus was very sensitive, so I have to take Miralax for life every day, and then my pain is gone.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Real me

After my colostomy reversal, I started to have pain in the rectum, and my doctor said it's because the feces were hard and the scar tissue in my rectum and anus was very sensitive, so I have to take Miralax for life every day, and then my pain is gone.

Rosiesmom

So happy to hear you have a sensible rectum. Nothing worse than an insensible one. Sorry couldn't resist in our situation you have to maintain a sense of humor.