Yoga and Ostomy: Can I Lie on My Stoma Safely?

Replies
Views
Buzwoman

Hi, I'm new to all this. Had my surgery end of Feb and am feeling pretty good. Want to get back to yoga but unclear about lying on my stoma. I have not laid on my belly since surgery. Is it safe?

Thanks!

Pirrip

I would only lie on my tummy if my bag was completely empty, but I wouldn't dare sleep like that. Just imagine if the bag filled up with some liquid output and you rolled on it and the seam of the bag splits? I have had a couple go! It's a learning curve. Mattresses are expensive! Good luck, chum x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Buzwoman. As Pirrip says. having an empty bag is a sensible pecaution to prevent leaks. However, there should be no reason why you could not lie on you stoma. many of us wear hernia belts and I have not heard of any damage being done in the process. the pressure of a belt must be equal or more than the pressure that would be exerted when layin on the area. It's all about comon-sense and experimentation. Give it A TRY AND IF IT DOESN'T WORK, THEN STOP! Having a stoma should not prevent us from doing anything we want (apart from pooing from our bums!)

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

You can lie on your belly if you irrigate. I'd recommend it if you have the type of ostomy that permits it. (Descending or Sigmoid). It can be a hassle for an hour in the morning, but after that, you're good to go for a day and night at least. Good luck.

Past Member

P.S. I just signed up for a yoga class myself. It's not a problem.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Miniroll

Hello

I've done all types of yoga classes with an ileostomy. I had no problems at all.

Very few poses mean lying flat on your front, but even if you do, it doesn't hurt - just feels a bit strange at first!

Obviously, you would probably go to the toilet before you start the class, but I find I'm so distracted concentrating on the yoga that not much activity goes on bag-wise during a class.

Good luck! X

denverguy

Empty bag, wear a wrap and be safe by not really putting pressure on it. You can learn that and it becomes second nature.

Silveradokid

Personally, I recommend presenting this question to your surgeon.

Past Member

I don't have an ileostomy, but I have been learning more about yoga, meditation, and trance. Four months into it, I can almost do handstands without using a wall for leverage. There is a nice lady with Crohn's and she has an ileostomy. Plus, she has over 500 hours of yoga experience. She could help you with any questions regarding poses, restorative yoga, and even nutrition. She's on YouTube... Go check it out?

Her name: Elaine O'Rourke Yoga

Blazest

It looks like you've gotten plenty of good feedback but I just wanted to contribute my two cents. I made it a point to ask my ostomy nurse about this and she said there was no problem. I'm worried more about possible herniation so I'm careful about some of the abdominal work that I do. But the nurse made it clear that there should be no problem lying flat on the ostomy. FYI, I have a colostomy. Also, I see no need to irrigate but the empty bag suggestion is pretty good. Best of luck and enjoy getting into shape, it's probably one of the best things we can do.

Bagface

After my surgery in July, I gradually went back to aerobics and yoga. I made sure my bag was empty first. As far as lying on my stomach for yoga, I do it carefully and have had no problems. I'm due for ileoscopy reversal soon, and my question is "How soon can I return to exercise without 'breaking something'?" Any input will be greatly appreciated. Many, many thanks to those of you who post your success stories, and I wish you continued good luck! And best of luck to those whose surgeries haven't gone well, and hope that things turn around for you!