Ileostomy: Pain in Stoma and Surrounding Area Inside

Replies
Views
bluerose157

Hi! I haven't posted in a while. In Sept./16, I had a subtotal colectomy toxic megacolon (colon sepsis); end result an End Ileostomy. (I had cardiac arrest during the procedure) Been basically getting along okay.

These past few days, every so often, I get a sharp pain inside (feels like it's inside the stoma and surrounding area). The only way to describe it is that it feels like pinching skin with fingernails or a sharp knife. There's been lots of output, so I don't think it's a blockage. Is it possible a particle gets blocked while other stuff gets through? It's not continuous; it starts every so often, then seems to stop on its own. I tried heating pads and massaging the area; this didn't make it better or worse.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms? My wife is a retired RN; she can't see anything noticeable from the outside of the stoma.

Side note: I have prostate cancer; don't know if anything here would be affecting this.

Thanks

Lloyd

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Loyd, hello from Baltimore. Yes, we get those pains from your intestines with ' in there through small intestines. Supposed to send signals to you to shit from your old life before you became a mate. Now use your fingers and slowly push in around stoma. You can feel the clumps in your small intestines. Eventually, you will get regular and you have to touch and massage stoma to make stoma feel you have it back. You need to eat light and exercise more than the average person. Now you have to keep clean, change often. Once you sort of forget about stoma, things will get back to the regular. Hope you have a good day, mate. Kemo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate