Mom's Intolerance to Food & Drinks - Need Urgent Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and advice for managing a mom's intolerance to certain foods and drinks, seeking urgent assistance from the community.
sammyboo97

Hi guys, I've made this account to find out answers for my mom. She's new to this whole colostomy thing and, well, lately she hasn't been able to tolerate any food or drinks. She seems to vomit after everything. Is this normal? Or has anyone dealt with it before? We told her surgeon, but she just brushed it off, not giving us any help. The hospital made it seem like only her potassium was low! Please help, I'm worried for her.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I don't believe your mom should be having any trouble with eating and drinking due to the colostomy. I never did, and no, as far as I know, it is not normal. I think there's something else going on, and she needs to find out what it is. Try a different doctor! Don't give up until you find out what's happening. Good luck to you and your mom.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hi from Baltimore. I think she needs some pot to calm her down and get her mind off of her bag. Hope this helps Kemo.

Mary Ann

GERD can cause similar problems. I developed it a few years after my takedown. An upper GI endoscopy will determine that.

maddie50322

So the most likely cause of this is a post-operative ileus. Many times after any operation on the bowel, it has issues waking up. Unfortunately, the treatment is NPO, IV fluids, and wait it out.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

I agree with Maddie that it sounds like ostomy hasn't started working yet. When I first got my ostomy, the surgeon recommended chewing gum and sipping a little bit of water, and soon I was passing gas and then the water. Good luck.