Help! Ileostomy High Output

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mattw

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some tips on ileostomy high output.

I had an emergency operation 10 weeks ago on the 17th of March and woke up with a bag stuck to my stomach. My stoma nurses have prescribed me 48 mg of loperamide which I take daily 30 minutes before eating. The output is so inconsistent. I can empty the bag 20 times a day on a bad day and 3 or 4 times during the night, which just leaves me exhausted the next day and also makes me feel so low.

I would really appreciate some advice on good foods and drinks that will make the output more consistent?

Thanks, guys.

Matt

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,088 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vdahl

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry that you woke up to such a surprise. My output was very inconsistent for the first several weeks too, but it does sound like you're off the charts with output. I was told (by the surgeon) that I could take up to 3 Imodium to get through the night. Is your output really liquid? Have you worked with an ostomy nurse at all? Not sure where you are or what sort of information you were provided with but there is a list of foods that will help with specific issues.

For me, eating pretzel rods and applesauce is the only thing that helps change the consistency to the thicker, paste type they were looking for. It also helps me so I can get the appliance changed more easily. I was also told (by an ostomy nurse) to take Metamucil in 4 oz water- start with a tablespoon and work up to 3. It's opposite of what you would take for constipation in 8 ounces of water.

Some say bananas, marshmallows and that sort of thing helps.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of information. I hope you get some relief. Good luck on your recovery.

Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

I agree with Vicky and her nurse - Metamucil works. However I had a job to find it in the UK so you might have to order it on the internet. The psyllium husk they sell here is not the same in consistency, taste or effect so be warned!

Best wishes

Bill

NJ Bain

Mattw,

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you will find an abundance of support here. There have been several posts on this subject. Check out the link below from an earlier post.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=8458

You will see the ostomy food chart link there and in the last column are some foods to eat to control diarrhea or in our case, high output from our ileostomies. Eventually, you will get to know what foods thicken your output.

But I always emphasize that you need to chew your food up VERY, VERY well. Your body is still pretty new to having an ostomy and it will take time to adjust. Your small intestine will start to absorb more for the lack of a large intestine and your output will eventually start slowing down. It's also important to stay hydrated. I would suggest the UK equivalent to Gatorade or Pedialyte.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Bain

maddie50322

So yes, it will be a little bit longer before your body really regulates. Certain foods seem to make the output thicker depending on the person. For me, I have noticed pasta and potatoes do. Talk to your ostomy nurse and surgeon as well. Don't eat or drink anything 3 hours or so before bed. Also, there are high output bags out there. So look into that.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister