Managing post-surgery bowel obstructions: Seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and advice for managing bowel obstructions after surgery, providing insights and support for individuals dealing with this issue.
Pattikins

I have recently had a lot of bowel obstructions happening. I am a colorectal cancer survivor and have had the colostomy since Nov. 2012. I had 3 good years, but the last 2 years have been filled with hospital visits because of partial blockages. I was told that it may be adhesions and scar tissue, so I had surgery in March 2018 to remove scar tissue and adhesions and have been to the ER about 5 times since March. It seems to have gotten worse. I get the most horrible pain in my abdomen that starts right at my rib cage and goes all the way around to my back. Sometimes I can feel a hard spot near my ostomy that may be stool that is stuck.

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if you can share your experience on what to do about it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Pattikins, I just had surgery to remove my stoma and 6-8 inches of small bowel due to scar tissue and pathology of Crohn's causing it. Before the surgery, the surgeon did a scope of it to see if it could be dilated, but it was too far gone. Maybe ask your surgeon about dilation instead of more surgery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Dear Pattikins. I've had the same kind of surgery that you had, and I was told I might get such a thing later on due to scarring from the radiation treatment. Your letter really knocked me for a loop.

God! My heart goes out to you. Hang in there... I've got my fingers crossed for you and for me too.

CrudeOiL53

Hello Pattikins,

I'm a colorectal cancer survivor as well and have had my colostomy since 2002. I had some severe stomach cramps shortly after my surgery and questioned my surgeon as to why. He attributed it to scar tissue as well and just told me I would have to live with it. I have continued to have more episodes over the years, some so severe that I would end up curled up in the fetal position on the floor in severe pain, and I got to the point where the only relief I could get from the pain was to make myself throw up. It doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what brings them on. I've even irrigated when I felt an episode coming on and that never made any difference. I consulted several other doctors and all of them pretty much give me the same answer, that it was more than likely scar tissue from the surgery. They told me I could have surgery to remove the scar tissue, but that to keep in mind that more surgery could result in more scar tissue over the years again.

My colostomy is on my left side and the pain always seems to start on the opposite side. I have learned over the years that when I feel an episode coming on I will massage the area for a while where the pain is starting and, knock on wood, it seems to prevent the problem from escalating further. Also, I'm not sure if this makes any difference or not, but I also make sure to drink plenty of water (between 64 and 96 ounces) every day. By doing both of these things and following this protocol over the last 3 years has eliminated any further episodes. I hope this helps. Best of luck

Greg

freedancer

Hi, I would insist the doctor take a real close look. I had my first emergency ileostomy surgery in July of 2017. I couldn't understand why I continued to hurt and couldn't eat anything. This went on for almost 7 months. I was in and out of the hospital during that time with horrible pain and hardly any output. When I had the surgery, they had to get in really fast as I was dying. They saved me 3 minutes before I was going to pass away. Finally, on February 16th of this year I was back in the ER for the umpteenth time and the CAT scan showed something wrong so I went back into emergency surgery again and almost died again. The doc said I had the worst stricture he had ever seen in his career and I was full of adhesions. He said the stricture must have happened within days of the first surgery. He said my intestines were very thick and severely enlarged. A few more hours and they would have burst. So if I were you, my friend, I would insist that they look at you again very carefully. It had to be the worst pain I ever had. The doc said the stricture was pinhole size. Nothing could get through except a little fluid and a little wind. I am so much better now. I have literally no pain and have been able to eat so much better now. I even have gone back to work part time!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pattikins

Thank you for your response. I have started to pay close attention to dehydration and even go in for fluids every once in a while. Thank you for your story and I'll keep y'all updated.