Hyperbaric Treatment for Stoma Sores?

Replies
Views
freedancer

I am just curious if any of you have heard of hyperbaric treatment for healing areas around the stoma that won't heal up? My stoma doctor is thinking of using this on my open sore area.

Bill

Hello freedancer. The only feedback I have had on Hyperbaric treatment is from people with Multiple Sclerosis. They often feel that it helps in stabilising the condition and making them 'feel' better. The logic behind holistically exposing the body to increased levels of pressurised oxygen sounds like a good idea and there is no reason to suppose that it wouldn't work for all sorts of conditions. However, it has not been clinically proven to work effectively, so its efficiency can only be judged by those who have tried it and made their own observations. In the field of stomas, we are used to trying a variety of things that have not been clinically tested and one of the main advantages of a site like this, is that our experimentation can be shared amongst ourselves. Hopefully, this treatment will have some beneficial effects for you and you can come back to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

BiliĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello, try going without a pouch for a few days and see what a difference it makes. Were the control ring leaving your skin in dry out mode? I use aloe vera on my sores. I use what I call a catcher's mitt of baby wipes held in place with my underwear. If you look at my profile, you will see I have no pouch on. I go without a pouch for most of the time when I'm home. When I go out, I slap a pouch on and go out. Generally, I take the pouch off when I'm home. Hope this helps, Jerz.

freedancer

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think I have turned the corner with New Maxine. I have been really diligent with the barrier wipes and pancaking the stoma powder. It looked pretty good this morning during my shower. I still am going to visit with the hyperbaric doctor to leave my option open. I have left several messages but have not received a call back yet.

vikinga

Freedancer! I have been through stoma sore hell and learned a LOT!! I have many tips and tricks to help turn it around if you still need them.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
freedancer

Yes, I would love to hear your ideas. Thank you!