Seeking advice on regular bowel movements after ileostomy surgery

Replies
Views
01blove

I have had an ileostomy bag for two years and right after the surgery, I also had BMs the regular way. It's been a really long time since the last one, and I am having strong urges. I'm afraid it's going to hurt really bad. Any suggestions on what to do? I know I'm not connected down there anymore, so anything taken orally like a stool softener will pass through the bag. Would an enema make things easier? Or would it be harmful?........any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bill

Helo 01blove.   Enemas are often prescribed for relief of  this sort of problem so they are unlikely to be harmful. However, there are many different types of enema and it would be wise to seek the advice of a stoma nurse or some other 'informed' medic before chosing one to try. There have been a number of previous discussions about this, which can be found in 'Premium Content', where people have recommended the products they use. Perhaps a browse through these old posts would put your mind at rest and guide you towards a solution.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,458 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

01blove

Thanks. Greatly appreciated.

Past Member

Hello from Baltimore. With this stoma life we live, you will find that over-the-counter meds burn and sting your stoma and skin around the stoma. For some reason, for me, stool softener and cold medicines screw up my stoma and pouch. I eat like a horse. I graze on granola, juice, and milk. Then one small meal, a hamburger or chicken or pork. V8 juice, watermelon, watermelon juice, and sweet potatoes have things in them that are brain food for stroke patients. Graze small poop, small with no pain. Food for thought. Jerz.

01blove

Thanks Jerz. I appreciate the advice

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sjl

I asked my surgeon about this at my last appointment. He said it is normal to have an ostomy and also have a bowel movement the right way. He said there is a division and it's possible for most people. I've done that twice also.