CPAP and Ballooning

Replies
Views
LadyLisaD

I know there is a post about this...but no real answers!

My neurologist already decreased pressure from 17 to 14, but still getting ballooning!

Please advise.

Bill

Hello LadyLisaD.  It's one thing having ballooning of the bag but when I first had a CPAP machine, my belly blew up like an inflated  balloon and it was very uncomfortable. There were several things I did which helped to stop the air going down the wrong way. The first was to wear a chin strap. The ones they provided were not strong/sturdy enough and gave me a rash, so I made my own (to fit my own chin and spread the load) out of plaster of paris and a strap which I machined myself to suit my needs. This held my mouth shut and help to keep my throat in the right position for the air to go to my lungs rather than into my stomach. The second thing, which primarily was for a hiatus herhia, was to elevate my bed so that I sleep at a 60degree angle. This seems to assist with keeping the CPAP in position as it is more difficult to roll about in bed (Interestingly, this more upright position helps with any output dropping into the bag rather than pancaking around the stoma). The third thing is that the masks they provided also gave me a bad rash so I opted for nasal pads. This necessitated the chin strap but because the air was only going up my nose, it was directed down the windpipe rather than the gullet.

The fourth tip is that before I begin sleeping, I open my mouth and let the pressurised air travel up my nose and out of my mouth for a short while. This is an amazing technique for clearing my sinuses and allowing the CPAP to do its job more efficiently. I also use Albus oil in the water chamber which helps with the initial settling down for the night. I sometimes use this latter technique during the day when I get hay fever badly. 

I think the CPAP machine is one of the greatest gadgets I've come across and it has changed my life so much for the better as I now do not fall asleep during the day like I used to. 

I hope this information helps

Best wishes

Bill   

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.