Need help with measuring and changing my ileostomy bag - skin irritation issue

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

For my super sensitive skin and allergies to most products, I found the only thing to keep my skin from burning, itching, redness, rash, etc. was something my family doctor recommended.

She recommended using FloVent and an asthma inhaler due to the steroids as it dry sprays on. Only FloVent works, and I don't know why. However, it's my must-have. No rashes, no red weeping skin, etc. since I began this. I went from wearing 1-2 days to 6-7 days.

I also use the Eakin Cohesives, but most companies have their own versions. Amazing! I am allergic to all pastes, wipes, etc. I also go for periods where I use one product until that fails as I develop rotating allergy/sensitivity where I need to change brand as it will fall off constantly. For this reason, I normally have several brands around and rotate.

As someone mentioned, the hair dryer is a lifesaver and ensures the ostomy adheres properly, but if in doubt, I use the belt and lie down for a half hour to make sure it stays secure.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Frog Pond

I was having the same problem for the first few months until my daughter, a nurse, said, "Look, it is oval shaped and not round. Cutting to the oval shape was a big help."

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate